Baby Turtle Won't Eat

Discussions about turtles.
mcarnauba

Help! I gave in to how cute he was and rescued a baby turtle from a chinatown sidewalk. (Total turtle newbie!)

I've identified him as a red ear slider and will be constructing a proper home for him this weekend (he came with a tiny plastic tank and a bottle of turtle food) - but I'm worried that he doesn't seem to want to eat.

He was very active when bought and less so now - perhaps he's too cold (the house is 65 degrees or so, but he had been outside in a plastic bowl!) and I have not seen him show any interest in food.

Is my baby doomed or can you help? I've tried kale, an apple slice, the turtle food he came with, blood worms on a tweezer that I moved near his head.... all floating in water.

Also, will he drown if kept in deep water?

Also - what's with the salmonella thing? How worried do I have to be about touching him?
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

yeah um.... dont let him be outside less than 80 degrees. thats probably why. if you boght him in chinatown he was probs meant to be eaten... so he may not have been fed too much.. trauma?
PurplePrismMist
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! :) when you set up his new home with a sunning area, heat lamp and a couple or so of plants(plastic is fine too)I'm sure he will come around REAL quick!! Having rocks or whatever built up as a ramp to get onto the sunning "beach" area also allows him to sleep on one near the top of the water. I always set it up where there is enough water OVER their shell (to stay warm) while sleeping yet close enough for them to stick their noses up OUT of the water. ALSO, you might consider getting a second slider. They love to compete for the food, thrive on company, and its GREAT FUN watching the 2 interact!! :)
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

Goodmorning and welcome !
I agree about getting him a friend, about the same size. We acquired two babies and they are great friends.
If you can't afford a complete set up today or in the next couple of days, get a lamp and place it near the tank he is in. If you can prop it up and lay over the top. This will get instant heat until you go get the complete set up he needs.
After he warms up he should be okay. As babies they generally do not like fruit, continue to try meat.

Debi
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

YUP, I rescued my turtles from the street of Chinatown too, I spend alot of time in this website to gether information(best site I've found), and my turtles started to eat after about two weeks. everyone else already gave you info on temperature and other stuff, my suggestion for you is to give your turtle a very "natural" looking home, and try go give them frozen bloodworms, or "Zoomed" Can'o worms. The worms opened up my turltes appetite big time. good luck

billy
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

by the way, set up a "full spectrum" light for the turtles, 3%UVB and 7%UVB will be best. It not only give them the the Vitamin synthesis, it also increase their appetite and activity, trust me, it's not false advertisement. When I first used it, my turtles were a little afraid to the sudden change, but give them a day or two, they'll be fine.

Billy
bridavis
Level 1
Level 1

I see that some folks recommened getting a friend for the baby slider. I\'m in Boston and have a single slider baby (a friend picked him up while in NYC). Is there anywhere in the Boston area where I can get a buddy for him?
Jason
Level 1
Level 1

The bones/shells provide extra calcium. In case you are culturing your own you can boost their calcium and vitamin content by dosing the food you give them with calcium powder and some vitamins!Another key benefit of providing live food - especially fishes is exercise! Your turtle WILL chase
these fishes and burn some calories… thus reducing chances of obesity
Jason
Level 1
Level 1

The bones/shells provide extra calcium. In case you are culturing your own you can boost their calcium and vitamin content by dosing the food you give them with calcium powder and some vitamins!Another key benefit of providing live food - especially fishes is exercise! Your turtle WILL chase
these fishes and burn some calories… thus reducing chances of obesity
Jason
Level 1
Level 1

these fishes and burn some calories thus reducing chances of obesity
  • Information