What should i do about my basking/land area?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
The Turtle Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

I got a small red eared slider about 5 months ago, at first he was happy in his 10 gallon tank, which i sloped, so he had a dry spot to bask in and some water to play in, but he never went to the dry spot, he just hung onto a plastic plant i stuck in there for good looks. In any case, i got a new and improved 30 gallon tank, which i then discovered had the problem of not being slopable. So I \"solved\" the problem of a basking area with my fake lily pads. I now have a map turtle and i think a regular old slider with my red ear, and they all like to clamber onto the smaller lilly pad which is usually near or under my filter\'s waterfall. I dont know why they all choose the same pad, maybe they like company? I also have a light for basking, and a heater, but i just use the heater, and the tank is located near a window for sun, and there are places to hide, like a small cave inhabited by my african clawed frog, and behind my filter where there is shade. In any case, i want to know if i should try and make some sort of basking area (which will be next to impossible unless I get some bright ideas)or put the lamp in there or what. And I cant lower the water level 2 much, as the filter nozzle will only reach so far, and i have several gouramis and such. Help a guy in need, with 3 young turtles perishing under a filter!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

You definitely need to have a basking lamp. Even if they can get UV from the sun, they need the heat from the lamp for proper digestive function, and to help their shells dry out once in a while. Maps are especially prone to shell problems, so it is really important for you to have a basking area with a heat source. My map basks for a large portion of the day.

You can find all sorts of floating islands in online pet stores. I would not suggest the ones that look like rocks that suction to the side of the tank: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... Id=6515Try , I had one, and styrofoam always broke off.

I have heard good things about these, however:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... CatId=6514

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... CatId=8809

Good luck!
The Turtle Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for telling me so soon, i\'ve only had my map for about 4 days, so he should be okay right now! But which would be better? I think the ramp would be best, but the large one would probly be the one to get since there are 3 turtles, maybe more later ;), and it is pretty expensive :(. Thanks anyway though, il consider the large ramp, but maybe a small ramp and landing pad would be better. Tell me what you think.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I have heard good things about both kinds. The only negative thing I have heard is that some turts have trouble gripping the ramp. You can fix this by placing strips of stick on velcro (cheap at craft/sewing stores) on the ramp in strips going perpendicular to the ramp. This helps them grip. Once you put in the ramp/island wait a few days, it took my turt about a week to start to bask when I got her.
The Turtle Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info, but il see what i can do about actually acquireing the ramp etc. first. I have to check petsmart and other stores first because my parents and crazy and wont let me use their credit cards on the internet. I quote, \"You cant use the credit card because some crazy person will steal our identity and all our hard earned money!\" Crazy!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I bought mine in a petco or petland, etc. It does not look natural at all, but it does the job, and my snoopy ignores any others that I try. My snoopy is in a pic on her float at the bottom of this page:

http://www.allturtles.com/your_turtles3/index.php
The Turtle Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

cool beans! That sounds like a plan to me, considering i get like 50 bucks this monday! Booyeah!!!
  • Information