We found this turtle on the road...

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
faline73

And we don\'t know what it is. It can close up it\'s shell completely, so you can\'t see it\'s feet or head. It has a solid brown head and maroonish brown eyes. I found a picture on the web that looks just like it. It has the number 3 in orange all over it\'s shell... or maybe it\'s a capital \"E\".

Here is the link to the picture I found. It says it is an American Box Turtle, but every box turtle site I go to says they have multicolored head/body.

Help! Here is the website with a picture of our turtle. Once you\'ve identified it.. Is this a suitable pet for an 8 year old. What do I feed it? Can I keep it in a cardboard box until next Friday when I get paid (then buy an aquariam? terrariam?) Does this type of turtle like to swim? *ANY* info would be helpful.

He/She was stranded in the road and I picked him up. I was just going to toss him in the grass, but then he closed up into his shell and I had never seen a turtle fold it\'s shell shut before. He creeps around pretty quickly and his nose isn\'t running.

Here is the url to the closest picture I could find:

http://www.jim-frizzell.com/american_box_turtle.htm
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,
YOur turtle probally is a American box turtle, because since it looks like it, and jsut doesnt have a few markings on its head doesnt mean it isnt a American box turtle. I mean, all turtles have different markings lol. This probaly would be a good pet for your 8 year old, though I advise you to make sure your child washes her hands right after she touches it, she might catch selmmona, considering that is a wild turtle. You can feed it fruits, earthworms (make sure they were not in manuare) and some meat. Check the site to make sure. I wouldn\'t keep it in a box beacuase it needs water to live. If you have a rubbermaid box that would be great, just put a huge rock on one side, and water on the other side. This should be a ok place for your turtle for now! Good luck with your turtle!
  • Information