Any fly river owners here?

Discussions about turtles.
lighter

Any fly river/pig-nosed turtles owners here? I've got 2 of them and they're my greatest pets. If anyone got anything regarding fly rivers please share with me. Too bad i've got no digicam so no photos!

lighter
Dwayne

Hi there!

I too just bought a pig-nosed turtle. just observed that it might have some eye problem. troubled.... Can\'t really find much info on them on the internet.
adrianabubakar

I have two fly river turtles, had them for over six months, the fly river turtles are very easily infected by fungus around their eyes, this is due to poor water quality, mine got the infection to, but it is easily treated with a water change and most available fish medicine for fungus elimination. I found that compared to fish, turtles waste dirty the water even faster and you need a very good biological filteration system that is 2 or 3 times the capacity of your tank to keep the water quality good and free from ammonia and bacteria that will lead to the fungal infecions. However I still do not know the exact correct water PH level for this species. Anyone??
cchagros

Just bought a fly river to live with my three red eared sliders. How old are yours, and how big do they get on average? He is living in a 125 gallon tank, so there is a lot of room. I read somewhere they can get up to 2 feet long and 50+ lbs. Is this the case?
kerry

I bought 2 pig noses about 1.5 years ago. I live in Singapore so they are common and cheap here. Cost about US10.00 each. I didn\'t know what they were when I bought them and was amazed at what I had actually acquired. I quickly learned to keep them separated as they attack each other unmercifully. As for diet they eat meat, white bait, and water hyacinth. I give them turtle food as well. If they are hungry they will eat just about anything. The growth rate is impressive and they are both easily around 7 to 8 inches and probably too fat. They have a large outdoor pond (7ft by 2.5) about 2 feet deep (with divider) and an excellent filtration system. No health problems have occured. Since it rains so much here, there is no need to change the water, just an occassional vacuum of debris in the bottom. When I return to the US I would like to bring them with me as they are more popular as lunch here rather than a great pet. Good luck with your \"snorts\".
  • Information