ANSWERS FAST BEFORE IT PROGRESSES

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
*~Pixel~*
Level 1
Level 1

what are the symptoms of sofy shell because i was making sure my turtle was ok and when i pressed gently against his shell it kinds bent in just a little. i wasnt sure if this was normal or if it supposed to be super hard and not able to break
deesygirl

How old is your RES? Younger hatchlings do have a softer shell to begain with , it does harden up shortly though. Do you use a UVB bulb? Also what type of food are you feeding him? For extra calcium you can put a cuttle bone in the tank.

If you go to the search feature(it shows up in the blue text at the top of this page) and type in soft shell it will pull up many discussions on the same issue. It is a common question so there is lots of info.

Here is the info from the first aid pages under the care link on this site.

5) Shell diseases:

Your turtle\'s shell should be hard and solid, except for softshell turtles. You should not be able to push dents or find any soft patches. The most common cause of a soft shell is a lack of calcium or vitamin D3. They can get calcium through their food, and vitamin D3 through sunlight or UVB rays. Be patient, this could take a very long time to heal.

Good luck. The sooner you treat this the better chance your RES has of healing completly.
*~Pixel~*
Level 1
Level 1

Well everyday before i leave i open the shades so that he has sunlight and i keep a light over him untill i go to bed. i feed him Turtle Bites and at the bottem it says \"Shell-Conditioning Formula\" , also i feed him Turtle Food 100% Insect Larvae, and when i clean his tank i put in a couple pieces of lettuce. thank you for your help----where can i get cuttle bone?
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

You can buy a cuttle bone in your local supermarket in the pet food section. It will be with the bird supplies. You need to pry off the hard abcking before putting a piece of it into the tank.

Good luck
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE THE RIGHT LIGHT BULB BECAUSE THE SUNLIGHT COMING IN YOUR WINDOW IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH. EVERY TIME THE LIGHT GOES THROUGH GLASS OR PLASTIC IT IS FILTERED AND THE STRENGTH OF THE UVB RAYS ARE DECREASED. THIS ALSO INCLUDES TE RAY FROM A UVB BULB IF YOU HAVE A GLASS PLASTIC TOP ON YOUR TANK. YOU SHOULD ONLY USE A SCREEN TOP WITH LARGE MESH
  • Information