Algae Eaters

Discussions about turtles.
Seddy311
Level 1
Level 1

I want to get an algae eater, but will my turtle eat it? He eats all of the feeder fish I put in his tank. I have heard that if they are big enough he won't try to eat them.. any success stories?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Sherryl
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

i had one algae eater he was doin fine when we cleaned the tank but then my turtles ate them in there new home :(

well.... as long as you provide your alage eaters and other fish with ample space to run away and hide.... turtle will not harm them!

contrary to what you have heard...its the larger ones that have a higher chance of survival....as they can swim away rapidly.....

the operative condition for their survival is hiding places.... rock cavities, shells, etc that match their color. these fish have an appearnace and color that helps them camaflouge in the surroundings...provide them with that..and they will be safe

We have 2 plecos (alage-eater), 4 tiger barbs, 4flame gourami\'s and a couple of albino catfish...happily cohabitating with our two 3\" RES..for quite some time now...

you can read more abt \"keeping fsh in turtle tans\" on our site - PET TURTLE

CHK OUT: Pet Turtle - your Turtles Home!
http://petturtle.htmlplanet.com
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

algea eaters are fine. mine (although not very big at all) has survived for months now. he knows when to come out and he knows when to hide. take them into consideration, they are a joy to watch, just like your turtles, and they help clean the tank.
Fab Five
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 95 gallon pentagon aquarium that houses my 5\" RES (Petros) and 36 fish of varying sizes (including a 7\" plecostamus named Picasso). Petros successfully cohabitates with everyone as long as I do not add black fish. He developed a taste for them after snacking on a few Black Moors early on. I have been unable to convince him that Mollys and Platys are not the same . . . but he enjoys black fish to the exclusion of all others. Petros even eats peacfully next to the fish at the surface, or along the bottom with Picasso. I have read that RES and fish do not live together well, but I think it all comes down to each turtle\'s personality (and culinary desires).
Good Luck!
  • Information