SALMINILA!!!!!

Discussions about turtles.
blondyturtle
Level 1
Level 1

whoever it may concern,
i need serious help. i have already got the a ok from my parents to purchase a turtle. but after reading up on them a bit, i am concerned about the whole salmenila thing. could you give me some information? this seems like the kind of pet i want, but i have a four year old brother! also my mom is totally freaked out about the salmenila thing. she thinks that it is in our house one day and we will all die. i understand many people have this wonderful pet and would like to be one of them. what kind of things can i do about this bacteria? and how can i convince my mom that the world is not crashing down. everyone else has one and they arnt dead. also my cousin is interested and we are wondering if it is ok to buy one off of the internet. is this better considering they are salminila free?
please hurry with an answer

samantha
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

not all turtles have salmonilla. Also its okay for you to have your turtle in a tank and for you to play with and pet just make sure you wash your hands after handling the turtle. If your mom is worried about your little brother getting salmonilla just let your bro look at the turtle through the tank try not to let him touch it but if he does im sure he will be ok just have him wash his hands before he puts them into his mouth.
blondyturtle
Level 1
Level 1

but what will happen if i purchase it off the internet???
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

no turtles are salmonella free....
if you are young, i would not consider getting a turtle til you are older because they are a very expensive pet(if you want to properly take care of it and to have it last longer then a few months)....I\'ve ended up spending quite a bit of money just to have things running smoothly i.e. no smell, proper health, proper lighting...etc.
salmonella can easily be taken care of by washing your hands after having yourself come in contact with the turtle or it\'s living environment....i wouldn\'t suggest letting it walk around everywhere, it\'s more of an observing pet then a playing pet...
blondyturtle
Level 1
Level 1

i have enough money and i am old enough. i am not six years old. i just wanted some advice on whether or not salmenilla was as serious as i thought it was! i also want to know if i have to have a filter. if i dont will it be really hard to clean?
Midori
Level 1
Level 1

i don\'t think they were referring to you as 6 years old. i think what they meant is that if you\'re 13-16 or so, you should wait to get a turtle. they require a lot of time and money. i think i spent about $150 or so intial cost for a small set up for a couple of babies, which i will need to upgrade when i move. also RES get to be pretty big and most females may require outside ponds and a male can require 70-100gallon tank depending on size. they can\'t stay in a 10 gallon tank with 2 inches of water their whole lives. i recommend that you read some care sheets if you haven\'t already done so.
http://www.resoasis.com/care.htm
http://www.turtlecare.net/require.htm
http://free-zg.hinet.hr/turtle/

and a filter isn\'t required, but is almost necessary unless you want to do water changes every other day. and when you\'re up to a 50 gallon or so tank, it\'s practically impossible.

sorry to sound preachy or anything, ive just seen a lot of people get turtles and really have no idea what they are getting into which results in either a dead turtle or an abandoned turtle left on a sidewalk in nyc which is where i found one of mine.
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

Well, if you think of it this way....

The most common locations that people come in contact with salmonella are raw chicken and eggs. We still cook chicken, and in order to do that, we have to handle it raw before it\'s cooked. If you wash your hands after handling your pet, you\'ll be fine. But that\'s honestly good advice for any kind of pet. hampsters, guinea pigs, dogs, birds... I\'ve never had a single pet that the vet/pet store people didn\'t recommend that you keep your hands clean after handling them.

I wish you luck :) And if you make the decision to get one, feel free to post your questions here. These people rock...
deesygirl

First of all welcome to the forum. Lots of turtle lovers here. :)
mishfish is correct in stating that these are not a good pet unless you have the money to set up a proper habitat for a turtle. Have you and your parents really looked into the overall cost of getting a turtle? I was surprised when I started.
You need:
1)large enough tank or a very large rubbermaid type container.
2)Basking light,fixture and basking area.
3)UVB light and fixture
4)Heater
5)Filter- canister type works best
Even with a filter you will need to do frequent water changes.

And this is just the basics. You will also need to provide a balanced diet as well as a cuttle bone or other calcium. PLants or hiding areas in the tank.

Even though it may take a while it is best to have your tank setup and ready before you get your turtle.

Small children should not have access to a turtle with out supervision. Anyone handling the turtle or any turtle related stuff (filter-water-ect.) should wash with soap and water. Do not use a sanitizing lotion!!

Good luck and I hope the information you find here will help you.
blondyturtle
Level 1
Level 1

i am thirteen years old and i want a pet. thank you for the advice. i hope that you can answer more of my questions. what do you think about buying a turtle off the internet. i have asked this before but would like some more info. i understand that they are alot of work and require alot of attention. but, would you not agree that any pet is expensive? even if it is just a little fish, if you are starting with the basics and have nothing to offer it, arnt you going to have to put a little time and effort in? i think soo. trust me, i have 2 dogs, a cat, and 8 horses. i have got my hands full but i am willing to have something else that i can enjoy.i want to beable to enjoy the company of a prospering turtle. isnt that why everyone else buys them? i mean you guys do not but them just to spend money on them. am i right?
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

That is correct, we do buy them to enjoy them..they are like a hobby...that turned expensive really fast...I think alot of ppl who get involved don\'t realize or weren\'t taught the proper care so it\'s quite a shock how expensive it can become..notibly, it gets less expensive once you have the proper set up and just have to worry about food.

The thing that does become very difficult is cleaning the tank...transporting water is messy. There\'s alot of gadgets you can buy to help out with this but if something goes wrong in your tank(it happens) then this can create a whole list of problems and new expenses....it\'s a good idea that you are doing some research about this first..

Have you ever considered adopting a turtle?? I have a website for Ontario, Canada and another one for anywhere else...if you are interested, I will give them to you or anyone else...

Just adding on from here, I\'ve grown up on a farm with mulitples of animals (once had over 100 rabbits) and I know how hard raising animals can be...it just seems alot different once you get it in your house and it starts to smell...
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

I spent $200 for the tank and stand and we already had a heatrock plants rocks terrarium ect. Our turtles love our bubble strip a lot too they like to put thier bellys on it. We will take some pictures soon and post them. So you can see what a real turtle setup looks like.
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

Last edited by kamby on Mon May 12, 2003 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Kamby, you have a 55 gallon tank right?? How much did you stand cost??
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

we only paid 105 cuz we negociated out a deal.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

samantha calm down u sound a little ticked
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

I really wouldn\'t worry about the salminila! My sister and nephew live here and there has never been an issue. But if you think it would be better to find a different home..then i guess the search is on! :) Good luck!
  • Information