is my red ear slider sick?

Discussions about turtles.

seems like he is having a hard time swimming to the bottom its like he sticks his head down but his tail sort of holds him up.

little help?
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Is your turtle eating well? or are there any other symptoms? closed eyes? etc? How old is your turtle?
According to some of my turtle books...turtles that swim lopsided or have trouble staying on the surface or going below the surface might have a respiratory infection? I\'m not a Dr. so....if your turtle starts having other symptoms take it to a vet. My book says that it might need antibiotics if that is what is wrong with it. Don\'t worry but watch it closely.
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I had the same problem with one of my turtles....

check out links below of previous postings(a moderator on this forum has explained a possible cause)

http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... =1717#6891

http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... =1662#6688

My turtle was doing exactly the same thing ,its hind part seemed to be pulling it up and causing it not to sink easily....I have a good setup with all things recommended(UV ,basking light ,filter heater...) plus a varied diet....veggies reptomin...crickets....and feeder fish(once every 2 weeks)...fortunately the condition dissappeared in about 4-5 days.....though this might not always be the case..

also when my turtle had this condition it was still eating like a pig and also basking...so it had no other signs of being sick....

So i guess the best thing to do is go to a vet ....in my case i waited for 4-5 days (bcoz my turtle wasnt showing anyother signs of disease..eating well and basking)...and it got totally better....but u never know...

hope this helps

Rahul

moxie wrote:
Is your turtle eating well? or are there any other symptoms? closed eyes? etc? How old is your turtle?
According to some of my turtle books...turtles that swim lopsided or have trouble staying on the surface or going below the surface might have a respiratory infection? I\'m not a Dr. so....if your turtle starts having other symptoms take it to a vet. My book says that it might need antibiotics if that is what is wrong with it. Don\'t worry but watch it closely.
  • Information