stinky tank

Discussions about turtles.
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

everytime I open the lid of the tank to take a turtle out to play with it the tank smells really bad. Anything I can do to make it stop smelling so much. I was kinda thinking of sticking a little airfreshiner at the top of the tank (not in the water) would that be okay?
Mr_Xia

change the water more often ?
do you have a good filter ?

My thoughts.

Don\'t feed your turtles in thier tank. This is good for a number of reasons:

1) No food debris/guck in the tank - stay cleaner longer

2) No turtles \"waste\" in the tank

3) Since you have 2 turtles in one tank --it hard to monitor how much each one is eating. One could be eating it all and the other eating none.

Depending on the size of the turtle you can used anything from a tupperware bowl (I use this for my hatchlings) or a plastic cat litter pan/box for a bigger turtle.

If your turtles are dirty (which will add to the smell BIG TIME) then clean \'em up! Warm water and a toothbrush will do wonders.

After you do all this before sure to clean the rocks, filter, heater, etc, etc.. Otherwise some of the bad stuff will be in the new water.

Lastly.. If you have stuff on the bottom of the tank (rocks, pebbles) you can remove that... Gunk likes to hide in there, too.

Thats all I know off the top of my head.. I think that will help Big Time, though.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

Buy a kick ass filter and you will have no more problems. I have a 20 gallon tank with a Fluval 304 on it. he water is always cystal clear and no stinkys. I rotate water regularly and about after a month and a half I do a complete teardown due to algae build up. Teh filter is expensive, but if you buy it from an online store you can get it much cheaper than the petshop. 85 dollars from

www.thatpetplace.com
  • Information