turtle\'s head is swollen on one side

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
emily

Yesterday we noticed that my red-eared slider has some swelling on the back right-hand side of its head. It looks like the swelling is coming from under the skin. Does anyone know what causes this and how serious it is? Possible at home remedies? Thanks so much!
Midori
Level 1
Level 1

this could be an ear abscess. you should take him to an experienced reptile vet. An infection right next to the brain should be taken seriously and treated with surgery and antibiotics.
l8or g8or

I agree with Midori, seek a qualified vet as soon as possible. This is something that will NOT go away & cure itself. It needs a vets attention.
emily

Thank you both. You\'re right. We took him to a vet and had the bump lanced, pus taken out and injected with antibiotic cream. It doesn\'t look very pretty but it seems to be healing. The vet said it was an ear infection cause by vitamin A deficiency. Glad we did the right thing and sought professional help. Thanks again!
Last edited by emily on Thu May 08, 2003 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
emily

Thank you both. You\'re right. We took him to a vet and had the bump lanced, pus taken out and injected with antibiotic cream. It doesn\'t look very pretty but it seems to be healing. The vet said it was an ear infection cause by vitamin A deficiency. Glad we did the right thing and sought professional help. Thanks again!
l8or g8or

I am glad to hear that everything went ok and your turtle is on the mend - good for you for taking him to the vet, you are a very responsible turtle owner!!
  • Information