Green Water

Discussions about turtles.
Sparkels580
Level 1
Level 1

I clean change the water in my tank every two weeks and i completly clean the tank once a month but no matter what I do the water always turns green with in a week of cleaning. Does anybody know what I can do to keep the water cleaner longer?
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I have never used algae fix with turts, but it is a liquid that is sold in pet stores to lower the algae in fish tanks. It worked really well in my fish tank.

Does anyone else know if algae-fix is safe for turts?
l8or g8or

Tell us a little more about your cleaning. When you clean your filter, do you clean EVERYTHING with tap water or water you take out of your tank? If you used tap water, it kills all of the good bacteria, which in result will make things grow faster. You should always clean the filer with water from your tank.
mpiontek

Just a thought.. are you useing a light that might help algae grow?
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

l8or g8or wrote:
Tell us a little more about your cleaning. When you clean your filter, do you clean EVERYTHING with tap water or water you take out of your tank? If you used tap water, it kills all of the good bacteria, which in result will make things grow faster. You should always clean the filer with water from your tank.
wont that leave the filter dirty and smelly
l8or g8or

No, not if you rinse it real well. I very rarely have trouble with green water, although I do a partial water change in all 4 tanks ever single day. In my 100 gallon I take out about 1/4 of the water, and in the others 1/2. I just think it keeps the tank fresh - so they aren\'t swimming in their toilet!
Grifter
Level 3
Level 3

hmm
i clean my filter with tap water and my water gets oily looking
ill try cleaning with tank water
l8or g8or

The oily film you are talking about is from the top of the water not being aggitated. Try moving your filter so it moves the surface of the water and you won\'t have this film.
  • Information