Wild turtle hatching?

Discussions about turtles.
Dolfan0925
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what time frame wild red eared sliders hatch? There was a time around March last year I was workin in a pet store and everyone and their mother had baby turtles that they found. I was wanting some and I kinda know about where they will hatch but I really wanna avoid going to the creek and stuff every day till April. So any information would be greatly appreciated.
Dolfan0925
Level 1
Level 1

Oh yeah...I live in Cincinnati, OH and it is illegal for them to be sold...so if I want one I have to find one. If anyone knows of somewhere close that I could find one or two I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

They are illegal to sell in alot of states but that generally doesn't stop people from trying to make a buck or two. Just about every flea market I have ever been to has them. So the way I see it if I buy the animal that is living in poor conditions then I have saved him.
I do not know about the wild though -- sorry.

Debi
PurplePrismMist
Level 1
Level 1

Breeding: Pond Sliders mate March to June and nest June to July. The female lays 1-3 clutches of 4-23 oval eggs about 1 3/8" long in a nest cavity 1-4" deep, wich may be located some distance from water. Hatchlings emerge in 2-2 1/2 months, but often overwinter in the nest. Males mature in 2-5 years. Females mature in 4-6 years.
  • Information