worried...could my turtle be lonely?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
toujours28

hi,

i am taking care of my friend's turtle for a bit. i'm not sure what kind it is, maybe a red ear slider? it looks like it from the pictures.. my friend bought it in chinatown (new york city) for $5, because the turtles looked so unhappy stacked on top of each other. that makes me really upset, but is not the point!

the thing is, the little guy doesn't seem to be eating... he's tiny, with a shell 1-1.5 inches in diameter. is he a baby? or is this some kind of dwarf turtle that's not going to grow?

could he be lonely? would he be happier if i bought another turtle? or should i try feeding him some new stuff (my friend only left me some pellets)

thanks so much for reading!
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

I got my RES the same exact way. My 2 turtles didn't start eating until about 1 1/2 months after I bought them.
One important thing is to make sure it is warm (water around 75-80 degrees). It also needs time to get used to its new home. Leave a tiny piece of pellet in the water in case it feels like eating and don't move the little fella to much.
Maybe you're right, it might need a buddy to hang out with. Just make sure they have enough room to swim and bask when they want.
Keep us updated! =)
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

you know, turtles are unbelievably social. it's nice to have a friend.....same it is for them. make sure they are the same species and always introduce them to each other slowly......but otherwise, a new enviroment can stress the turtle out. give them some time and he will eat
  • Information