anyone have pics of a setup for a tiny RES??

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

I just got him yesterday and he\'s still living in his little environment that I bought him in, which looks cute, but we have a 50 or 55 gal tank I\'d love to set up for him, I need to know how many inches of water he would need and how to make a basking area. Thanks!!
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

Here\'s a link to the current setup pics and his future home, I have to put the smaller one inside the bigger tank due to no lid, a cat, and a two year old!
www.myturtle.50megs.com
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

That looks like a really great home for the future! Good Luck! I am sure you can find all of the necessities on this site, regarding lighting, etc.

As far as design suggestions, my favorite tanks are the ones that look the most natural. Of course, mine doesn\'t fit into that category due to lack of funds and time, but I am trying. Natural plants can be a nice addition, and your res might even nibble on a few. A popular one that is SUPER EASY to grow, and actually hard to kill, is elodea (AKA anacharis) it is an underwater plant that can float or root into gravel.

You can find elodea at most pet stores for really cheap, about $.99 a bunch. Just be careful to buy it from a clean place so you don\'t introduce any microbes to your new friend.

Good Luck!

Post pics when you set it up!
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! My dad had bought the tank years ago although it\'s in perfect condition I had a goldfish that grew pretty big and lived a really long time in there, since his passing it\'s been sitting, an empty centerpiece in our living room, I talked to my dad (19 still living at home lol) today about setting it up since my baby res (recently named \"Chino\" by a friend of mine today) is already kinda living in there due to my cat. And he says Chino will get too big in there so he\'s giving me trouble about setting it up!! Any ideas on explaining the proper home my turtle needs to my dad? He\'s from chicago, ill. I don\'t think he\'s ever had a turtle, lol! I was born and raised in florida so I\'m pretty used to the animals/bugs and other things around here. lol!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

You can tell your dad that turts are not completely like fish in that they will not grow and grow and grow as long as there is room. I am not sure on this one, maybe someone else can step in, but I think they grow as long as they are well nourished, somewhat regardless of space. If your turtle is going to grow to 12 inches, I think that is mostly determined by genetics, not space.

Maybe someone else who knows more can correct me if I am wrong!!
l8or g8or

snoopy is correct - not by space! You can see pictures of my setups in the links in my signature - Crumb is my smallest RES, he\'s in a 20 gallon.
  • Information