How can I take my little one outside??

Discussions about turtles.
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

I just got my new addition yesterday and we don\'t have a light for him yet and I was wondering about takeing him out in the sun, natural should be best right? Anyway i was wondering if i can, how long and how often? He\'s in a plastic container type environment (that i bought him in) with his built in island and little rocks on the bottom until I get his 50 or 55 gallon tank set up. Any Suggestions on how I should set that up? He\'s really small so how deep should I make the water etc. Thanks!!
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

I recently bought 3 baby RES and i just bought them a 55 gallon tank. Right now I only have the water about 8 inches but i have a big plant thing in there that they can climb on and get air. Im planning on buying more rocks so i can make the tank into a terrarium so they have some land to climb on too.
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

when youre done I\'d really like to see a picture! thanks for the reply!
PakeDru
Level 1
Level 1

It\'s pretty important to get a basking rock and accessible dry land as soon as possible. If your turtles don\'t completely dry off their shells once in a while (they\'ll voluntarily do so if there\'s accessible dry land), their shell\'s will rot due to bacterial infection.

Your turtles can be outside all day as long as you\'re sure they can\'t escape and as long as it\'s a nice sunny day w/o much wind (turtles catch colds easily). If your turtles are red ear sliders they won\'t drown because they\'re inherantly really good swimmers (unless they get stuck in a cave or tunnel)
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

I took him outside today and it worried me b/c of all the sudden birds in the trees, lol. So I didn\'t want to leave him alone out there and with me sitting there he was too afraid to stay on the basking rock i put in there for him, I\'m think maybe some screen over the little pool?? and I don\'t know if he could get up on the basking rock should I make a little sand place on a side of the pool? and any ideas for how or just dump in some dirt? lol, sorry very new at this!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

You can get a piece of driftwood at the local pet store. Attach it to your basking spot, and your new friend will be able to climb up.

I would suggest a screen. depending on how big the pool is, maybe you can just use one from the house! Just make sure that it is secure so no other animals can knock it off, in case you go inside.

Good Luck!
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

copy and past the link :)
Last edited by kamby on Fri May 09, 2003 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

if you get a sturdy enough net you could put some bricks around the edges so no animals could knock it down i dont know how big your pond is but its an idea
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

if you get a sturdy enough net you could put some bricks around the edges so no animals could knock it down i dont know how big your pond is but its an idea
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

You can make the water as deep as it can go as long as he has a basking area...and for outside you could buy a 12$ kiddie pool...and just put a rock in for a basking area!..just i thought! good luck :)
  • Information