New RES Owner...Some Questions

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a RES turtle today! But I can\'t buy a light for him yet and I was wondering if I could take him outside in the sun for a while. And if so how often and how long? I just have the living space he was sold in, and it doesn\'t have a top so when I take him outside should I stay with him or get some screen?? help! lol! We have a huge aquarium we\'re going to set up for him, but like i said i just got him today and he seems a bit nervous, anything i can do to releave that? Also!! I can\'t think of a name!! lol! Any suggestions on names for our new family member? thanks!!!
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

ALSO any tips or hints I should know?
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

He has also turned himself over twice and couldn\'t get back up, although I didn\'t give him much time, is it possible for him to drown that way and what should I do about it? (He was climbing up the sides tryin to get out)
RedBelly
Level 1
Level 1

It maybe turning itself over becos the water isn\'t deep enough, you must makeb the water atleast its shell length or it will turn over and drown.

Also do you have a dry area, this is needed
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

There\'s an island in the middle but I don\'t think there\'s much more room for water (since it\'s the container I bought him in) I\'ll take a picture today is there any way I could post it here, guess I\'ll look around the site, and he\'s never gone up on the island yet that I\'ve seen, is that b/c he\'s in a new place?
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

It sounds like you are on the right track, setting up the bugger tank. The one you have the turt in now sounds like what is commonly known as a \"death bowl\". You can probably tell from the name that it would be good to get the turt out of there soon. In my limited experience, it would be OK to fill the plastic bowl up close to the top for more swimming space, as long as the new tank was available within a day or so, and as long as you cover the top with some kind of screen so it can\'t escape.

Good luck with the new tank setup. There is a lot of good info on this site for help with setups.
Ningirl837
Level 1
Level 1

Here\'s a link to the site I made to post the pics my digital camera is messing up it\'s not really that dark! Cheap camera!! lol
www.myturtle.50megs.com
  • Information