Turtle Health

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
misskitty
Level 1
Level 1

I got two little RES from a friend for Christmas. They were very little and probably a little to young to be sold on the street but I thought they were just adorable and soon bought a tank and set them up.

My first question is: at what age is a turtle considered an adult?

Sometime in January one of them (Sunshine) began to hibernate though the other (Shady) did not - he remained active, ate and GREW!
Sunshine came out of hibernation and though about half the size of Shady has been eating, basking and doing pretty good. Over the last week or so though, I\'ve noticed that she\'s become a little less active and not eating as much and I of course have become a little worried.

Surfing the internet, I came to this site, scanned the message board and want to say \"Thanks!\" for all of the really great info and suggestions! As it has been a little bit colder this past week or so, that may have something to do with her change in behavior so I will be off to the pet store to invest in a heater as well as make sure that I am amply stocked with a calcium block and vitamins.

Another question I have is: Is it ok for turtles of the same age but different sizes to be kept together? Since Shady grew bigger while Sunshine hibernated, he is a little more aggressive/competitive when it comes to feeding time (though normally this hasn\'t been a problem as I make sure there\'s enough food to go around). Is it still ok to keep them in the same tank? Before Sunshine hibernated and they were the same size they really seemed quite compatible but now that there\'s a size difference I wonder if Sunshine\'s still ok.

Any suggestions or assistance is appreciated.
Thanks!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I only have one turt, but I have a suggestion...
If you do notice some competition during feeding, you can try to feed them outside of the home tank. That will also keep their tank much cleaner. I ahve been doing this for a few months now; My turtle is now less skittish and I have to change the water less often. They also tend to poop soon after they eat, so the waste in the tank is reduced as well.

I use a plastic critter keeper container, filled with warm water. The water needs to be deep enough for tehm to submerge completely, (I don\'t know if this is true, but I read somewhere that aquatics can\'t swallow above water?)

When snoopy is done eating and pooping, I put her back into her clean home, and dump the waste water down the toilet. I don\'t know about for juveniles, but adults only need to be fed once every 2-3 days, so I don\'t even have to do this every day.

Good luck
deesygirl

First of all, welcome to the board. There is alot of great people here.

I keep my RES\' together for the most part. They are in the pond during the day and a tank at night. They are various ages and sizes. I personally have never had a problem of any kind. Sweet Pea and Cutie Pie are both around 9\" Corky and Jasper are around 4\". Tank and Stew are around 6 1/2-7\" (The only one that I keep apart is Reeb, as he is a tiny baby.)

All that said, many people here have had issues in keeping turtles of different sizes. Honestly I do not know what to tell you. I think you just need to watch them close and use your best judgement. Feeding them seperate might be a good idea, even for a little while.
misskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! This is a good suggestion and I will try feeding them outside the tank separately and see what happens. I also like the idea of another way to keep the tank clean as I usually unplug the filter (so food won\'t be drawn in) before I feed them and scoop out any remaining food with a fish net after they\'ve fed.
snoopy wrote:
I only have one turt, but I have a suggestion...
If you do notice some competition during feeding, you can try to feed them outside of the home tank. That will also keep their tank much cleaner. I ahve been doing this for a few months now; My turtle is now less skittish and I have to change the water less often. They also tend to poop soon after they eat, so the waste in the tank is reduced as well.

I use a plastic critter keeper container, filled with warm water. The water needs to be deep enough for tehm to submerge completely, (I don\'t know if this is true, but I read somewhere that aquatics can\'t swallow above water?)

When snoopy is done eating and pooping, I put her back into her clean home, and dump the waste water down the toilet. I don\'t know about for juveniles, but adults only need to be fed once every 2-3 days, so I don\'t even have to do this every day.

Good luck
misskitty
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! There do seem to be some great turtle folks on board and overall this is a really great site. Snoopy replied with some good suggestions which I will try and see what happens. Thanks for your reply as well.
deesygirl wrote:
First of all, welcome to the board. There is alot of great people here.

I keep my RES\' together for the most part. They are in the pond during the day and a tank at night. They are various ages and sizes. I personally have never had a problem of any kind. Sweet Pea and Cutie Pie are both around 9\" Corky and Jasper are around 4\". Tank and Stew are around 6 1/2-7\" (The only one that I keep apart is Reeb, as he is a tiny baby.)

All that said, many people here have had issues in keeping turtles of different sizes. Honestly I do not know what to tell you. I think you just need to watch them close and use your best judgement. Feeding them seperate might be a good idea, even for a little while.

• Information