THIS IS MY SET UP, IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD OR SHOULDN\'T

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
hollygirl05
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a 75 gallon long tank. I have 2 res that are 1 and a half and 3 inches big. I also have a 2 inch box turtle. My tank is a little less than half land the rest water. We have the land where my boxer can go into the water if he wants and my res can go onto the land if they want too. I have a light on the tank. And big rocks in the water that my res bask on. I have to clean my tank because it gets algae growing all the time. The pet store said if we get algae, then they are getting enough heat is that true? He said we need to keep it clean. Is there anything else we can use to not have to clean it all the time? This is a big tank, I can\'t take everything out and dump it. How much water should my res have to swim? I don\'t fill it up all the way, but they are covered in it. How do I know if they are eating enough and getting enough vitamins and stuff? If there is anything I should do let me know. Thanks Becky
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

When you need to clean it, you can siphon the water out. You an use a piece of regular garden hose. (In case you don\'t know how to siphon: Fill the hose with water, cover the ends with your thumbs to prevent leakage, and place a large bucket at a level lower than the tank. Place one end of the hose below the water level in the tank, and the other above the bucket. The water should flow with the aid of gravity! Just make sue that the hose satys below the water level in the tank)
hollygirl05
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Snoopy, Thanks for the advice, I\'ll have to try that out. It should be easier than what I have been doing. Thanks again. Becky
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

It is really easy to do. Now that I empty the tank that way it takes so much less time!!
  • Information