Why Won\'t He Bask?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
darwing
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

okay previously, I had a 10 Gallon tank for my red eared slider and had a little basking area in the tank that he could go up on. He ended up spending a lot of time up there (probably cause the swimming area wasn\'t very big).

However, now I have a 15 Gallon tank filled with water and the 10 Gallon for his basking area. I have made a ladder for him to climb out to the basking area (has a heat lamp and everything)but he doesn\'t seem to want to go up there. I\'m pretty sure he can get up but I don\'t know if he knows that its there to him....

Can someone please look at my web page and tell me what you think I can do to get him up there.?
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

I have seen your set up, what the problem might be is the ladder that allows your turtle to go up is too steep, turtles are lazy. Also, it probably doesn\'t know that its warm up there, if its not warmer than the water, it probably won\'t go up there. I just think the ladder is too steep, maybe try lowering it a little and see how things work out. Hope this helps.
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

all in all, if you can figure out the basking problem, it\'s a VERY cool set up :)
darwing
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the coments and compliments.

I did in fact fix the basking problem, I fixed the ladder so its a smooth raising ladder and put it on the end of the tank so it takes up the whole end. He basks so much now its great!

I will update pictures when I get the chance

Thanks again for the compliment
  • Information