shedding scutes

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle has been shedding for a while, nothing to be concerned about. What DOES concern me is that some of the scutes are not coming off. I read somewhere that you can help this process by brushing. I started brushing my turts shell to help prevent rotting. In some spots the scutes that came off were four deep. Is that normal? Do some turtles just have a harder time shedding them?
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

snoopy wrote:
My turtle has been shedding for a while, nothing to be concerned about. What DOES concern me is that some of the scutes are not coming off. I read somewhere that you can help this process by brushing. I started brushing my turts shell to help prevent rotting. In some spots the scutes that came off were four deep. Is that normal? Do some turtles just have a harder time shedding them?
PLEASE REPLY
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I am reposting this. PLEASE RESPOND, SOMEONE, ANYONE!!! I am concerned. I have been soaking in sea salt water for 20 min a day and drying out in a wash basket and using shell conditioner before putting back into tank. I also brush her shell both when wet and dry to try to loosen any infection trapped under the scutes that won\'t come off.
snoopy wrote:
snoopy wrote:
PLEASE REPLY
deesygirl

Shedding and infection/rotting are 2 very different conditions. Shedding is normal. The rotting is not a normal part of shedding. Here is some information taken from the firsat aid pages on this site.
~~~~~
6) Shell sores or holes in shell:

Remove your turtle immediately from the water and keep it dry. To prevent your turtle from dehydrating, soak them for 30 minutes twice a day. Sponge your turtle off with Betadine or Nolvosan several times a day, especially after soaking them. Keep your turtle warm. Drying out the affected area aids in the healing process. Take your turtle to the vet if the problem persists.

You can prevent this condition with a proper diet and clean water.

~~~~~

If your turtle appears to have lesions or ulcers on the shell you can suspect shell rot or shell fungus.

Shell infections can be caused from the bacteria called \"Beneckia chitinovora\". This bacteria comes from feeding your RES crawfish and shrimp.

Other infections are caused from tank decorations abrasing the shell. Make sure you use decor with smooth surfaces on them. Also make sure you keep your water very clean.

The best thing to do if this is the case is the dry tank therapy described above.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you for your reply. I have noticed positive changes since I started the soakings. I think that it was probably just normal shedding, not rot. I am going to ask a vet, just in case!
  • Information