Cleanliness

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
pugcrazy2003

My turtle is very dirty and I don\'t want to clean him/her everyday. Is there something I can use to keep his/her tank cleaner. Thanks! Does anyone have any good ideas for things they can rest on that floats?
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

About the cleanliness issue. It really helps to feed the turts in another tank or basin. I have an adult map turt that is about 5 inches in length, and I feed her in a critter keeper. It is basically a large plastic container. I fill it with clean water each time I feed her, about 3 times a week, and I leave her in there for about an hour. Most turts will poop at around the time they eat (or so I have read) and I don\'t put her back in her tank until I can see that she has. This reduces the amount of uneaten food as well as waste that is in the water. I usually flush the water from teh feeding container. You can even use a rubbermaid container as a feeding area, as long as the water can be as deep as the turts shell is wide. (This prevents them from getting trapped on their backs)

I hope I helped!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Almost forgot about the basking area...
I have a ramp like float that was purchased at a local pet store. It was about $8. It has traction on each side to help with getting up on it. My snoopy loves it. I tried to get a more natural looking one, and she refused to use it. The ones that are styrofoam and look like rocks are sometimes hard for them to get up onto, so I would stay with the ones that have submergible sides. Good luck.
Gail Berger

pugcrazy2003 wrote:
My turtle is very dirty and I don\'t want to clean him/her everyday. Is there something I can use to keep his/her tank cleaner. Thanks! Does anyone have any good ideas for things they can rest on that floats?
1. Take your turtle out of the tank to feed. Leave the turtle in a bucket with a light over it for 1 hour while the turtle eats and poops. I feed my slider every 5 - 7 days. Also get a FLUVAL 4 filter with a sponge insert for your tank. Only feed your turtlle when it is really hungry. I\'ve had my red ear sliders for 16 years.
pugcrazy2003

Thanks for all the help everyone!! I appreciate it.
  • Information