Old RES\'s help

Discussions about turtles.
Mr_Xia

hi,

i have just gotten two RES, one is over 10 years old, the other probably around 6-7, they are both about 10 cm\'s long ( shell only ), and they have lived there entire life in a 30x20cm \'aquarium\' with about 3cm of water in it.. sad..

now i want to move them to a 55 - 75 gallon aquarium, but i am afraid that they won\'t be able to swim anymore, and won\'t be able to live underwater for long.. anyone had the same problem, and what was your expirience with it?

Please respond fast as i intend to buy the aquarium this week.

in case anyone wonders : 1 cm = 0.3937 inch
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

eesh... poor things :( They\'re lucky to have found such an attentive and caring owner.

I read a previous post somewhere around here about someone elses suggestion in this particular situation. Get them the tank, and set it up, but add the water gradually (maybe a little more each day) so they can get used to it. I don\'t have enough experience to make a for sure type call on this, but that\'s what I\'d read elsewhere.

Good luck with your new friends :)
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... picID=1754

Mr_Xia is reffereing to a recent post here ,the suggestion ws made by deesygirl..she is the moderator on this forum and the advice seems logical......so try adding water increementaly..check posting link above...
Mr_Xia

Last edited by Mr_Xia on Sat May 03, 2003 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
browny turtle
Level 1
Level 1

What the heck is a RES what does it stand for? cause i got no idea so please um tell me
Jamie
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

Turtles can hold their breaths for a REALLY long time. *giggles* don\'t know exact numbers, but I know mine sleeps underwater, usually somewhere near the surface so she can stick her neck up and breath easily whenever she needes to. I wouldn\'t worry about them drowning if you\'re being careful about adjusting the water level slowly and such. They know when to go up for air when they need it :)

About the bubbles, mine does that too.. hehe.. it\'s adorable. She\'s such a goof.

as far as the indented shell.. not sure. I know that males can tend to have a concave plastron towards the tail end, since they have to be able to mount the females to mate. If that\'s not what you mean, then maybe someone else will have a clue.

hope this is helpful :)
  • Information