GROWING RATE?

Discussions about turtles.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

I have had a Red Ear Slider for about 5 months,it hasn\'t been growing too much. He is about 1 1/3 inches. Is this size normal?
I have heard other RES grown up to 5 to 6 inches and they are the same age as mine?
Does the size of the tank have to do with any of this?
jinz1
Level 1
Level 1

hi, i got mine last september, they were about 1.25in...now they\'re 1.5in now...

wild turtles are not supposed to grow that fast, from what i\'ve read, it takes them several years to reach maturity.

i feed mine 3 times a week, until they do not take food from my hand anymore. they each will eat about 4 pallets now before they\'ll stop. when i first got them, they would only eat 2 before they\'re full.

they will beg sometimes before the day i\'m supposed to feed them, but as with animal, its better to go slightly hungry than 110% full all the time
minimanY2Kev
Level 1
Level 1

i\'m not sure if this is true but i heard that if the tank is too small, it will stunt their growth... i dont know how this conclusion was made but i think it is pretty much true... an RES of your size should have at least a ten gallon tank... maybe even bigger
i dont know what size your tank is but if it is smaller than 10 gallons, i would give a bigger tank a try
  • Information