can he be indoor-outdoor?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
turtlemom

We just received a red-ear slider, he\'s really small. Don\'t have a heater yet, he\'s in a dish with a climb-up island. Our indoor temp is usually about 74 degrees, I\'ve read that\'s too cold for his water. What if I put him outside each day for several hours to warm-up (we live in Miami, FL) and then bring him in at night? this would also solve UV problem...Yes or No, please HELP!
Gail Berger

Good luck with your turtle. I\'ve had 2 red ear sliders for 16 years now. They are not hard to look after if you have the proper set-up. The proper setup is more complicated than a bowl and an island. My sliders do not have a heater but they do have a ceramic lamp clamped above their tanks for basking. It is vital that the slider be able to leave the water every day to bask in a warm area. i have a 65 gallon tank with rocks that form a slope so that the turtles can get out of the water when they want to. If you have your 5 year old handle the turtle be careful to have him wash his hands carefully after handling. Turtles, as well as baby ducklings, carry the salmonella germ on their shells. I have never had a problem but you must be extra careful with children. I have also found that by feeding the sliders in another container keeps their home much cleaner. It took me 5 years to figure this out. I feed my sliders frozen minnows (bait from a bait shop), trout chow and reptile sticks. I\'m not good at using live feeder fish. I also have UV light in my aquarium to simulate daylight. Taking your turtle outside might be ok as long as the water didn\'t get too hot. Basking, a good, varied diet and a clean environment seem to be the keys to providing a good home for sliders. They make really interesting pets. A 20 gallon set up with a floating island would do for a few years. I used to have a ramp that hooked over the side of the tank. it was good until they got too big. My sliders are in separate tanks. They were together for 5 years but then I had to separate them. Remember this in case you decide to get another turtle. The reason I recommend a 20 gallon tank is that the eqipment that goes with the tank (lights, Fluval pump,basking light ) cost the same whether it is for a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon tank. I hope this info helps.
  • Information