New SetUP

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

I just recently got a 42 gallon rubbermaid for my baby RES can anyone give me any ideas, cuz its looking pretty plain. Right now, I have no place for it to bask, cuz my basking light doesn\'t go that low into the container. So what I was thinking of was having a basking area built upward, so it doesn\'t take away any swimming area. Will my REs outgrow a 42 gallon?..When I got it, it seemed pretty big, now when I brought it home, it seemed like not enough for a Adult RES. Do u think if I had a slide or a ramp of some sort, going up and having a platform of clear plexy glass or sth, so I can see my turtle swimming below as well, would he be interested to actually go up and bask there?..thanks for the help.
human177
Level 3
Level 3

DOn\'t worry about your turtle drowning or anything. Although there are a few very good ascending basking spots, although you should watch out with a baby RES. Before you know it, she\'s 15 inch.
Size is good but I wouldn\'t be surprised to find myself upgrading in a year or 2.
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

get rid of the 42 gallon plastic tub, the plastic will eventually melt given the right basking spot of 80-85* farenheit. invest in a 55 gallon acrylic that was meant for water animals.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

actually..my lignt is directed to my basking site not the plastic. So it doens\'t melt..

LuciasAmen-ra wrote:
get rid of the 42 gallon plastic tub, the plastic will eventually melt given the right basking spot of 80-85* farenheit. invest in a 55 gallon acrylic that was meant for water animals.
ok a 5 gallong axrylic at my stores are 40$ so imagin a 55 gallon
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Rubbermaids are fine. How big is your turtle? If you figure as a general guide 10 inches of tank/container per inch of shell, you have an idea as to how big it should be. (A 55-gallon Rubbermaid is something like $12 at Walmart.) The size you have (42 gallons) is not big enough for an adult RES, especially if your turtle is a female. For a basking area, you could buy a big piece of corkbard and wedge it between the sides, which would give your turtle swimming room underneath. I know of someone who uses a plastic stepstool with a flat stone on top as a basking area, which also gives swimming room underneath (as well as a hide place)-- there are a number of options... The basking area should be 85-90 degrees F, or about 10 degrees warmer than the water (76-80 degrees F) to provide an incentive to bask. I think once your turtle gets used to his new home, he will bask. Just make sure the basking area is easy to get on to. Remember to have a UVB light in addition to the basking light. You also could have some cover for your turtle like plants--either real or plastic (will last longer; no wires). Good luck.
  • Information