I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ericvance
Level 1
Level 1

I jus bought a res in flordia and it drove home with me 11 hours to kentucky and i put in water with sloped gravel and he swims some but he was more active in the case i bought it with but it is way to small. Iv had the turtle for 3 days its pretty small about 1½ inches from head to tail it hasnt eatin any of his pellets and i dont know what to doso someone please help i dont know what to feed it or what to do and i dont want it to die so please help ! And also i put a reg. lamp over his setup is that alright ?
Last edited by ericvance on Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
deesygirl

Well, first of all congratulations on your new turtle. I am glad that you found this site. There are many people here that can help you out. They are a great bunch.

The first thing you need to do is get a home setup for your RES. At the top of this page is a wealth of information. You can go to the turtle newbie section to start.

Setting up a good tank is the first. What size do you have? Even a rubbermaid container makes a good first home. It also saves you some $, that you can put toward a heater, filter, and the right lighting. You will need a UVB bulb as well as a basking lamp.

He needs time to adjust to his new home before he will start to eat. Then you will be sorry. They love to beg for food. It is really very cute.

Take some time to browse some of the posts here. There is alot of info and some good sugestions. What works for one does not always work for someone else. It is nice to have so many great ideas to work with.

Once again, welcome.
ericvance
Level 1
Level 1

Once again, welcome.[/quote]
Thanx alot i have a lamp with two bulbs in it we used for the fish my res loves to sit under it and i took it outside in the sun i gave him alittle piece of bacon and he eats that but not lettuce or his pellets his setup is a large plastic container with gravel and alot of water to swim he is basking right now so thats about it thanx again on helping me .
deesygirl

Make sure you get him the right type of lighting. He will need a 5.0 uvb light. This fits in most aqarium lids. Also a basking lamp. There is a all in one bulb available. It sounds perfect for me as you only need one fixture. I\'ll get back to you with the name of it. :)
Also throw a cuttle bone or calcium block in the water. If he is just eating bacon he will really need the calcium.

One more thing, make sure the gravel you use is to large for your turtle to ingest. Gravel can impact in the intestines or cause prolapse.
ericvance
Level 1
Level 1

Hey yes we had gold fish and i used the bulb from that theres two and she loves to sit under it and close her eyes and were would you get a calcium block jus a reg. pet store and how much $ would that be yea the gravel we bouht at a walmart annd some came with it but its to big for her to eat thanx again eric
Last edited by ericvance on Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

I believe the all in one bulb is the Mercury Vapor bulb, it emits high levels of UVB which your turtle needs, also I believe it uses the normal light fixture, so u do not need a flourescent fixture. The life on these bulbs are also much longer. Although expsensive , these bulbs are efficent and good in the long term.
  • Information