Is Neosporin toxic?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
trelanea

I have an 8\" aquatic asian box turtle and his shell is in bad shape. It had some loose scutes over rot, so i gently removed the loose stuff and cleaned off the shell with a toothbrush. It was really rotted in one place, so I cleaned it and have since applied a little neosporin to try to seal off the wound and to kill the bacteria. I wanted to make sure that it wont hurt him. It only contains petroleum base, lidocaine (numbing agent) and three antibiotics. Anyone know if Neosporin can harm my Maxie-poo???

He sorta looks like he\'s scratching his shell on his ramp, but then again, he always does that... I\'ll bet that would hurt. The area is exposed white bone (less than 1/4 of that scute) with some darkened pits in one place. :-( I carefully cleaned it out, but should I use alchohol or something? Besides the neosporin... I have him now in shallow clean water (1/2 his shell height) and regularly feed him fluker\'s aquatic turtle kibble and raw vegetable scraps. He has a full spec bulb and is in front of the window, which is open occasionally so he can get the good stuff: straight sunlight.

*stressing*
~Trelanea
deesygirl

No it is not toxic. However let\'s see if we can get you some info on your shell problem.
  • Information