RES age and...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Queens78322
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
When I was about 5 years old, I FOUND a RES. I live in NYC, and have read that they are native to the south and south america.

When I got him, I just put him in a fish thank(i think its 20 gallons) and filled it up with water just enough to cover him up. I also put in a rock, but no filter, light, etc.

I am now 16 years old, and he/she is still alive and appears to be healthy. I\'ve read that they often die in dirty water or cold water(i also have no heater)

My questions are...how can I tell his age? He/She is the same size now as when I found him 11 years ago. I read that you can tell by reading the hexagonal scales on its shell, but i dont get how.

Also, recently, when I clean him, i put him on the floor as I wash the tank. He has been chasing me with his mouth opened, and tried to bite me. He is a RES, not a snapper. Why is he doing this? Is he playing, or trying to attack me?

My email is [email protected] or [email protected] ... u can email me at either one. Also, my AOL/AIM screenname is QueensNYC78322. ANY information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
l8or g8or

Your tank should be bigger, for an adult RES. I have Joe in a 100 gallon, I wouldn\'t dream of keeping her in anything smaller. Your cleaning job would be a lot easier if you had a filter - yes, they can get sick from being in dirty water. Turtles eat, drink, swim & sleep in the same water they go to the bathroom in. I know I wouldn\'t want to drink from my toilet! Check out the care sheets at the top of this page. Check out my picutes for ideas for your tank. You really should put your turtle in another container while cleaning his tank, accidents can happen so fast - he could possibly get stepped on. I have no clue as to why he is trying to bite you, he is probably just frightened being out of his tank. Do you have a basking area and lighting for his tank? You didn\'t mention how big he is, can you measure & post? How about pictures of your setup?
Last edited by l8or g8or on Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queens78322
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by Queens78322 on Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information