lighting-please help before its too late

Discussions about turtles.
*~Pixel~*
Level 1
Level 1

can i just use a regular light over my RES\' because im not equipped with any of that fancy smancy stuff and i loooove them both so much i mean would it help if i put a strong light over them? help please! thank you :)
l8or g8or

For right now it\'s ok to use a regular bulb for a basking light, but you need to get a uvb bulb unless your turtle gets outside every single day. Some have other opinions on this and that\'s ok, but I have the bulbs. Tell us a little more about your setup?
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

UVA bulbs dont cost much...bulbs with UVA which can be used for basking....

As for UVB you can try reptiglo5.0 costs only 17 bucks(24 inch fluorocent tube for 29 galon tank in my case)

UVA is needed to help the turtles in digestion and uvb for bone development...i guess both must be essential...
*~Pixel~*
Level 1
Level 1

Well i have them setup by my window and everyday before i leave i open up the blinds half-way so that enough light gets in and i usually come home a little after sunset and then i come it and place a light over them untill i got to bed. also when l8org8or said i would have to take them outside, can you specify how i would let my turtles outside? just curious as you can tell im new at this--thank you!
l8or g8or

When the weather is warm enough, you can take your turtles outside. I have a childrens plastic swimming pool that I use for my biggest RES. I also have a car top carrier that I use for my other turtles. I fill them 1/2 way with water, put a rock in the center for a basking area. I put a fence around it to keep my dogs away. They go outside in the morning and come back in at night.
*~Pixel~*
Level 1
Level 1

ok thank you also you seem to be a pro at this stuff--there is a white spot on the end of my turtles shell it takes up a little square its white most of time sometimes it turns darker--any suggestions would be awesome
pho32
Level 1
Level 1

dumb question, but i need to know- do you use plain water? or dechloranated(sp?) water?
is that conditioner stuff good enough?
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

As long as you only have your turtle and not other animals to think about you can use regular tap water. I usually have a few 5 gallon pails full sitting in my basement. The chlorine will evaporate if you let it sit. If I have to use direct tap water and dont have time to let it sit, I usually use water conditioner just cause I am a nice guy and don\'t want to upset my turt.
*~Pixel~*
Level 1
Level 1

well i didnt know that you could put other animals in there with them--im an idiot
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

is a uvb bulb the kind that come with the aquarium?
turt
Level 1
Level 1

my turtle is kindof particular with lights, so I\'ve discovered. His zoomed basking bulb burned out and for the week until the new one arrived in the mail he refused to bask under the strip light I dragged over his basking island. Looks like it\'s zoomed or bust for him. He\'d make a great commercial for them. When he HAS a zoomed he does these awesome Yoga-like poses under them, holding the same one for over 20minutes or more. So cool to see!
Gail Berger

turt wrote:
my turtle is kindof particular with lights, so I\'ve discovered. His zoomed basking bulb burned out and for the week until the new one arrived in the mail he refused to bask under the strip light I dragged over his basking island. Looks like it\'s zoomed or bust for him. He\'d make a great commercial for them. When he HAS a zoomed he does these awesome Yoga-like poses under them, holding the same one for over 20minutes or more. So cool to see!
My turtles also like the zoo med bulbs. I had trouble with the 75 watt bulbs burning out too fast so I switched to 50 watt bulbs and I don\'t have the problem any more.
  • Information