Basking area

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
lilvol
Level 1
Level 1

I finally got Idgy\'s new tank set up. The vaseline worked like a charm for the background. Now Idgy is enjoying the new tank but she will not even try to get out and bask! I bought her one of those floating islands (I love the looks of it and space it saves) but she refuses to even try to get on it. It is stuck to the side of the tank with the suction cups so it\'s not moving around. I put her on top of it and she won\'t even stay up there, she runs off of it. I had rocks piled up in her old tank but she kept almost turning them over on top of herself. She loved to bask though! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I had one of the foam suction cup ones that looks like rock. Is that the kind you are talking about? My turtle had a really hard time getting onto it. She tried and tried, but she finally gave up, and I had to give her the old ugly one back. It doesn\'t look natural at all, but it floats and has ramps with traction on each side.

Just remember, any changes in the setup will take a bit of time to get used to.
lilvol
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, I think that\'s it. I ordered it through the Basking spot link to Dr. Foster and Smith. She just hasn\'t even tried to get on it. I guess I may have to drag her rocks back out or buy something else. I\'ll give her a couple more days I guess. Thanks!
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

Might be a silly question...but do you have a spotlight (UVA)over the basking area....my turtles always get on if the basking area is hot....they wont get on if it is not....
lilvol
Level 1
Level 1

I do have the heat light over the area, she still won\'t stay up there for more than a second, even when I set her up there. Hopefully she\'ll get used to it soon or I\'ll have to try something else.
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

This might be really stupid, but is your basking area warm enough? it should be somewhere around 85 degrees I believe, might want to put a therometer on your basking spot to be sure.
lilvol
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, I\'ll try that! I\'ve been taking her out and letting her bask in her old tank. She has started taking more interest in the rock, so hopefully she will get up on it soon. If not, I\'ll look into getting a different basking rock. :)
lilvol
Level 1
Level 1

She finally got on her rock Saturday and has been enjoying it all this week! Yay!!! :) Thanks for the tips. I moved her rock out from the side a bit and made sure the lamp was warm enough. Seems to have worked.
  • Information