Do they make vacation feeders for RES?

Discussions about turtles.
buddhadog

Need to leave town for a few days on short notice. No one to feed RES. Do they make vacation feeders for RES, like they have for fish? What is risk of RES death if not fed for 48 hours? I don\'t like to do this but I\'m in a bind - just moved to new town, not acquainted with anyone but co-workers.

RES is a BIG eater - will eat any amount of food I put in tank immediately. Do not expect my fish to be alive when I get back.

Any advice ASAP is so appreciated.

Thank you!
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

I don\'t know if they make food dispensers for turtles. It\'s a good idea though.
The risk of death for two days is probably 0. Turtles can go for long periods without eating and some people leave that long between feedings anyways. Yours should be fine when you are gone. What fish do you have, feeders? If you don\'t want them to be eaten, you should take them out of the tank. I hope someone can give you the answer you need on the vacation feeder, I would like to know too!
buddhadog

Fish are 2 bleeding heart tetras. Do wonders at keeping tank clean! I hardly ever feed them fish food - they tend to ignore it. They eat all kinds of junk between the rocks, and food residue as it falls from RES\'s mouth. So far, RES doesn\'t bother with them, but you\'re right - I should take them out if I expect to see them alive when I get home.

I guess I\'m concerned about RES not getting fed because he is so neurotic about eating! Loves to dine, that little guy. And he\'s young - only 4.5 inches long.

I\'ll give him a good feed the morning I leave and stop worrying. I\'ll also keep an eye out for a vacation feeder.

Thanks for the advice!
bridavis
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah you should be fine for 2 days. I think I\'ve made it like 3 or 4 days without feeding. They will be OK. Depending on your setup, you could probably use an automatic fish feeder for turtle pellets. They should fit fine in some of the auto feeders I\'ve seen.

Brian
buddhadog

Joy! RES is alive, and I was delayed an extra 12 hours! RES wasn\'t extraordinarily hungry when I came in. Normal appetite

I lowered tank thermometer before I left per other messages on board - premise to reduce RES hunger. Must have worked. Very happy outcome. Thanks to all who responded!
  • Information