I found a baby turtle, has not eaten yet...

Discussions about turtles.
yupper3d

I rescued a red eared slider yesterday! I was rollerblading on a trail near my apartment and I almost ran over my turtle. Luckily, I didn\'t but there were a lot of people biking, running and rollerblading on the trail so I picked her up. I haven\'t figured out if it\'s a girl or a boy yet, the turle is just a baby, about 1 1/3\" in diameter. Anyway, I named the tutle \"Blade\" (becasue I almost run over it with my rollerblades). I guess it\'s full name it\'s \"Blade the lucky turtle\" ;)
This is great because I wanted to adopt one for a long time and now I have one! I want to provide him/her with the best environment as possible. I want it to be a happy turtle for as long as possible.
Anyway, the turle looks healthy, the shell is in good shape, no signs of fungus or weakening.
The tutle is very active! It runs very fast.
I went to petsmart and bought a turtle island thinghy, water conditioner drops (\"Reptisafe\" to remove chlorine and other harmful substances), non-toxic epoxy coated aquarium gravel and baby turtle pellets (\"ReptoMin baby by Tetrafauna).
I put a thin layer of rinsed gravel on the bottom of the terrarium and added treated water.
The tutle hasn\'t eaten yet. I\'m worried about that. Maybe it\'s adjusting to it\'s new enviroment?

Any tips are welcomed!
deesygirl

Congratulations on your new baby, and welcome to the board. There are many turtle lovers here.

New turtles may take a while to get comfortable enough to eat. Don\'t worry about that yet. There are many different types of foods that you can give to tempt the little one to eat. As youngsters they need mostly protien. You can try feeder fish, worms, and grubs.

Please get your turtle a healthy home. Many people call the island bowls \"Death Bowls\". Your turtle needs an aqarium, a basking light, a UV bulb, a heater and a good filter. I have also seen a rubbermaid tub used for the first year instead of the aqarium. The gravel is not a good idea unless it is quite large. Your turtle can eat it and it can cause impactions in the intestine as well as prolapse.

At the top of this web site are links to some very good information on setting up a tank as well as caring for your turtle. Just click on the green buttons.

My husband found a baby red ear slider about 1 or 2 inches in his warehouse, he brought it home and we put it in a 10 gallon tank with rocks and water, it is active, but it does not seem to be eating. What can I do to keep it alive.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Right now your little baby is getting used to his/her\'s new home. How long have you had your turtle. What was it\'s conditions in the warehouse? Why was it in ther, do you know? Some turtles take almost2-3 weeks before they start eating, but at three weeks I would be getting scared. But untill the three weeks come, try all sorts of food for your turtle, try different, cook meats, like chicken or turkey. Try earth/meal worms, brine shrimp, feeder fish, crickets, a wide variaty of things. So don\'t worry yet, and good luck!
Willie
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

In addition to letting him get used to his new home, make sure his water is warm enough (78-80ish degrees F)--if the water is too cold he will not eat. (Basking area temp. should be 85-90. And he needs a UVB light for his shell in addition to a light to heat the basking area.)
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

i had a baby RES, two of them. you should understand that turtles are a lot of money and time and responsability. you need only a 10 gallon now but a 20 gallon wen matured. you need a UVB lamp and bulb for strong bones and shell,a heater so the water can be about 80 degrees, and a place for basking. also a filter or you could clean the cage every day, but that would be hard. feed them some veggie and some meat pellets. they mite like shimp too. and since he\'s small you should give him some romaine lettuce for strong bones. whatevere you do NO ICEBERG LETTUCE!!!!and wen it grows up it mite eat hotdog or chicken. allways cook it and always wash hands after handling blade. good luck!
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

i had a baby RES, two of them. you should understand that turtles are a lot of money and time and responsability. you need only a 10 gallon now but a 20 gallon wen matured. you need a UVB lamp and bulb for strong bones and shell,a heater so the water can be about 80 degrees, and a place for basking. also a filter or you could clean the cage every day, but that would be hard. feed them some veggie and some meat pellets. they mite like shimp too. and since he\'s small you should give him some romaine lettuce for strong bones. whatevere you do NO ICEBERG LETTUCE!!!!and wen it grows up it mite eat hotdog or chicken. allways cook it and always wash hands after handling blade. good luck!

yupper3d wrote:
I rescued a red eared slider yesterday! I was rollerblading on a trail near my apartment and I almost ran over my turtle. Luckily, I didn\'t but there were a lot of people biking, running and rollerblading on the trail so I picked her up. I haven\'t figured out if it\'s a girl or a boy yet, the turle is just a baby, about 1 1/3\" in diameter. Anyway, I named the tutle \"Blade\" (becasue I almost run over it with my rollerblades). I guess it\'s full name it\'s \"Blade the lucky turtle\" ;)
This is great because I wanted to adopt one for a long time and now I have one! I want to provide him/her with the best environment as possible. I want it to be a happy turtle for as long as possible.
Anyway, the turle looks healthy, the shell is in good shape, no signs of fungus or weakening.
The tutle is very active! It runs very fast.
I went to petsmart and bought a turtle island thinghy, water conditioner drops (\"Reptisafe\" to remove chlorine and other harmful substances), non-toxic epoxy coated aquarium gravel and baby turtle pellets (\"ReptoMin baby by Tetrafauna).
I put a thin layer of rinsed gravel on the bottom of the terrarium and added treated water.
The tutle hasn\'t eaten yet. I\'m worried about that. Maybe it\'s adjusting to it\'s new enviroment?

Any tips are welcomed!
Feed him cooriender leaves.

mom210 wrote:
My husband found a baby red ear slider about 1 or 2 inches in his warehouse, he brought it home and we put it in a 10 gallon tank with rocks and water, it is active, but it does not seem to be eating. What can I do to keep it alive.
kEEP IT OUT AND LET IT ROAM IN YOUR HOUSE FREELY. FEED HIM COORIENDER LEAVES. TRY TO BE VERY FRIENDLY WITH HIM.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

You can go through some of these sites and see other info they offer. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Last edited by shelngav on Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First....Ignore most everything you hear from petstore employees. Most dont know what they are talking about. The nitrates are not only not good for your turtle, but for us either for that matter. The salt in the ham or hotdog is high as well. Those are fatty meats. If you chose to feed meat I would feed lean beef or chicken, cooked without seasonings. Some recommend as a last resort to get them to eat, cat food. This is also not a great staple for long term, but it is smelly and sometimes will get them to eat. They need a varied diet, but you want a healthy diet. What is the water temp in your tank?
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I dont know the water temperture in my tank, because i dont have a thermometer yet, they are not eating, but everyone tells me that it could be that they are getting adjusted to the new location.

one of them ate a peice of the hotdog yesterday, but the other one wouldnt, but they have not eaten the hotdog since. the petstore employee also told me that i could buy them plantain, its fish food, but that turtles like eating that as well, should i buy that?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Personally I would stick with reptomin or something like that. I am sure your water is probably too cold. I would get a thermometer right away before you waste more money on trying different foods. The thermometers are under 2.00 usually. Get the one with the suction cup, not the strip, those arent acurate. If you do not have a heater on the tank, I am sure this is the problem. You MUST know the temp for these guys first and foremost. They will get sick if the water is too cold and they could begin hibernation. If you want to keep trusting the petstore employees, that is up to you. I gave you some links for food options. I personally wouldn\'t feed my turtle something made for fish. They have different needs.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I have touched the water and i dont think that it is warm enough, it feels cool. It shouldnt feel this way right? however, they swim alot more now that i added more water to their tank, and one of them ate a moth today, was that a good idea? do they get sick if they eat a moth?
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

you need to buy a submersible heater and a thermometer.Do you have a uvb lamp? the water temp. for babies should be 78-85 degrees also dont feed your turtle hotdog please it is very bad for them.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

A 20 gallon will not be big enough for a full grown red ear slider.
Try this site and go to the red ear slider care sheet.

---->www.austinsturtlepage.com
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

my turtles are not full grown yet, they are still babies, they are right now about two 1/2 inches only. i will eventually get a bigger tank but for now i am keeping them in just a 10 gallon tank, however i want to get a 15 gallon as soon as i get more money and a place for it in my apt.

i finally got the heater and filter and they are eating and very happy ever since i bought it.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I dont recommend only going up to a 15 gal. It wont be long before you will need a bigger tank, which means another filter to keep up and a bigger heater...etc. If possible I would try to come as close as you can to what they will be in permanently. Turtles ARE NOT cheap pets to own and care for properly. I hope you can get what they need. Watch for used in the paper or swap meets. By the way...do not buy plantains for the turtles. That is the same as a banana and too much banana is bad for them just as spinach, broccoli and veggies from the cabbage family. Glad to hear they are eating. Having the right temp makes a difference. Getting the proper set-up is soooo important to keeping your turtles healthy! All in all I probably spent 150.00 getting things right for my one little turtle.
Last edited by shelngav on Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

wow, i spent 190 so far on all the stuff for my two little ones, they are not cheap, but i dont care, i jsut want the best for them, by the way, one of the turtles is extremely hyper, i mean it looks like he is on speed the little swims all around like there\'s no tomorrow, is this cause he is happy in his new home, or does this mean something, i am being overparanoid with them, but thats because i am new to owning a turtle and would not want them to die on me or get sick. do you know what that means?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mine is hyper acting too at times. If the water is warm enough they love it. It is when they become listless and swim very little that I would worry. Good luck!
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

oh good, i am so happy to hear that.
  • Information