Please help me figure this out

Discussions about turtles.
Angel

Can you buy a stronger light for basking instead of using a lamp like some people do?A traditional aquarium light.Do they make those?Thanks!
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

you can buy a reptile basking bulb, they do make UVB bulbs with a basking light in them too, i\'ve seen them
l8or g8or

The bulbs InvisableMarker is referring to are called T-Rex Active or Zoo Med Power Sun. They are a heat basking light & UVB light in one. They are expensive, but only require on light fixture. I have them on my 4 tanks, that way I don\'t have to have a screened lid or a fixture hanging from my ceiling (like a strip light).
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

bulbs with both UVA and UVB seem to be quite costly...at least 50 to 60 bucks

cheapest option would be use a uVA light with hanging socket(bulb costs about 6 bucks and the socket buy fro home depot for about 4-5 bucks..its about 9-10 in petstores)...

and go for a uvb flourocent tube(i use reptiglo5.0 cost me 17 bucks)....

florocent bulbs are suppposed to last more than regular bulbs....
l8or g8or

This is how I rationalize buying these bulbs. Ready? This is what it would cost if you went with the Repti-Sun 5.0 UVB bulb PLUS a heat source bulb.

Repti-Sun 5.0 bulb $23.49

strip light fixture (to hold the bulb) (a one time purchase) $ 22.29

ceramic based fixture (one time purchase) $10.59 (at my petshop)

Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamps (100 watt) $5.99

the total for the first time buying this is: $45.78, a T-Rex Active bulb is $45, so it is acutally .78 cents cheaper! When the bulbs have to be replaced, it\'s still gonna cost $45 for the T-Rex, and $29.48 for the Zoo Med Basking & Repti-Sun 5.0 - a difference of only (drum roll please....) $16.30!!!
(minus the tax & shipping of course)

I feel that it is worth an extra $16 to only have to worry about one bulb burning out, and only needing one spot for a single bulb to hang. Another thing to mention is, with the Repti-Sun bulbs, you usually need to have a screened lid to sit them on, and people claim that this blocks some of the UVB rays. Unless you want to hang the fixture from your ceiling, which I do not.
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

i use reptiglo5.0 (not reptisun)thats 17 dollars .I use a ceramic fixyture costs 5 dollars at homedepot(pet stores charge almost twice)..

17+22.29+5+5.99=50.28$ (with fixture+uvb tube+basking light +strip light...)

using the zoomed basking spot lamp...
it would be $45 plus $5 for the ceramic fixture (from home depot) 50 dollars

So if you dont have a light strip(i had one from my fish tanks)....the trex bulb would be cheaper first time(28 cents)..but like l8or pointed out u still spend 45 dollars when the bulb goes out...

with the first fixture u would have to spend
17 plus 5.99 = 22.99

which is 22 dollars less using 2 fixtures....(each time you change ur bulb/s)

Downside is like l8 sugested u have to care for 2 bulbs(switching on or off....if it saves me 22 bucks )....

another thing with the uvb tube the uvb rays will not be focussed on a tight spot which means that whenever the turtles are swimming at the surface in the water they will still be getting the UVB rays as opposed to only when they are basking...

This however may be a disadvantage..i.e whenthey are basking as the rays are more concentrated that may be more beneficial....maybe 18 or somebody can clarify this point as to what is more beneficial....

Plus a bulb generally has to be replaced more often than a flourocent tube(please correct me if iam wrong on this one)...and bulbs require more wattage than tubes...

as far as i can see the only advantage of trx bulb(drum roll please) would be convenience of switching on and off of one bulb as opposed to two bulbs....if it save me 22 bucks

Also with the tube the entire tank will get light and will look better as popposed to focussing only one bulb at one spot...the light strip fixture also will provide you with a lid if you water level is high.....
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

oops forgot to add the cost of the screen to the fixture for trex bulb 10 bucks so with the trex fixture cost would be 50plus 10 bucks =60 dollars......(so 2 fixtures cost lesser ythan the trex fixture even tyhe first time by about 8 to 9 dollars)...

Just thinking out aloud the reasons why i went for a 2 light fixture as opposed to a one bulb fixture.....(convincing myself i did not make a mistake)
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

by the way I8

\"28 cents cheaper\" and \"only 16 dollars difference\"

shouldnt it be the other way round...shouldnt the only be in the other place

only 28 cents cheaper ....16 dollars difference...(:
l8or g8or

oh my goodness I\'ve gone crosseyed! I like having only one bulb to deal with so I don\'t mind paying the extra $$.
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

i like having two bulbs better because i have a smaller turtle and smaler tank i can bette monitor the heat, if it gets a little hot i can just turn off the light for a ahouror so instead if unpluging the heater
pho32
Level 1
Level 1

i bought a flourescent light ( the coily one ), those strip lights are to expensive, are these lights good too?
l8or g8or

I know! Even though I know what I am TRYING to say in that post, I can hardly figure it out myself!! LOL!
  • Information