Turtles chasing fingers

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
theo

I have 2 red ear sliders, and for the past week or so they have become very friendly. they come to the front of the tank when I talk to them and if i move they move with me. They are now eating from my hand and seem to enjoy trying to bite my fingers when I reach into the tank. If i let them bite me is it going to be like a pinch or what?

It will feel like your finger is in a clothes pin.
It all depends on the size of them really.
My biggest one Shelly, is about 6\" in length and she bites my fingers when I feel her fish and things. It normally never ever hurts. :)
theo

Thank you so much. I have only had them a year and although they have grown some they are still quite small.
deesygirl

I have only been truly bitten once. It was Sweet Pea and she thought I was a piece of chicken or a worm. I still have the scar on the side of my hand. She bit hard. Through flesh and down to the bone.The bone is still bruised. She is a big girl however and as I have never been bit by a baby, I would not know how hard they bite. I would however advise to \"WATCH OUT\" it really hurt. :(
Queens78322
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve had a RES for around 11 years, and just recently, he has been \"attacking\" me. When I take him out of the tank, he opens his mouth, and runs to me. He has been pretty close to bitting me, but never actually has. He\'s about 7 inches long, so I don\'t want to get bit(obiviously) Does anyone know why a turtle would do this? Sometimes he also hisses as he charges at him. He moves pretty fast for a turtle. If I am ever bit, and he breaks skin, I should go to the doctor ASAP, right?
  • Information