Turtle Shell Changes

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle\'s shell has changed recently. It is hard, but it looks whitish around the edges. It is a Missippi map turtle, and I know that are more prone to shell problems than res, so I am worried. Some scutes are also lifting off, (but at first I thought that was just normal shedding, since they are clear in color.) She basks often under her heat lamp. She is in a tank with water about 78 degrees. There is a filter, the water is changed often, she has a UVB light, cuttlebone and a \"Dr. Turtle\" sulfa block. She eats reptomin sticks, calcium and D3 enriched pellets and some occasional cooked, shredded shrimp. She eats in a separate container to keep her tank clean.

Should I go to a dry tank, or is this just normal. Her shell is still hard. It is the shedding and color I am concerned about!

Thank you!!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Oh, another question:
Does anynoe have any experience with betadine vs sulfa soak. I am thinking of beginning treatment as if it is shell rot of some kind. Which one is better to use?
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Please, someone respond, I am very concerned.
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

I have the same problem with my friends RES and no ones seems to answer
l8or g8or

I am not an expert by any means. You are doing all the right things that\'s for sure - great! I will look in my books today and see what I can find out. Can you see this when your turtle is wet or just when it is basking?
deesygirl

Here is some information that I found. Hope it helps.

II: Unusual Shell Coloration, White Patches, Fuzzy Stuff, Shell Rot:

These symptoms are usually the case of fungal infections. Cause of it can also be of either inadequate lighting, lack of Vitamin A, and usually, poor water quality. Both fungal infections and shell rot are fatal if not treated and the key factors lie in the lighting, and water quality.

Fix the Problem: Make sure to always have good water conditions in the tank, and that are providing proper lighting. Keep regulated water changes and a good filtration system. Be sure Vitamin A rich foods are being fed.

Treatment: There are several treatments that one can use to treat shell problems of any sort. Here are some of the most popular and effective ones:

A: Salty Bath: Give the turtle a 30 minute bath of salty warm water each day. Recommended Salt is aquarium salt. Soak the turtle in the salty water, but make sure to keep its head above the water. Salt may cause some minor eye irritation if it gets through. Scrub the shell lightly with a toothbrush in infected areas. Afterwards, allow the turtle to dry. Apply shell ointment of choice to infected areas (my recommendation is Tetra\'s Vita Shell cream).

B: Nolvasan, Betadine, and Iodine: All 3 are antiseptic solutions used to treat cuts, burns, scrapes, animal infections, and so forth. Nolvasan usually used in many animal clinic to help disinfect, and Betadine sold in Drug Stores which is used to help treat and disinfect cuts and scrapes. These solutions make healing process of shell problems much quicker, so they are worth the effort to find them and use them.
First, clean and rinse the shell to remove any dirt and particles trap in the scutes and so forth. Brush and scrub the shell gently (toothbrush recommended) and remove any scutes that will easily come off. Clean infected areas with solution of choice. Allow to once again dry. The more the turtle remains dry, the more the shell rot and fungus will die off. During the period that the turtle remains dry (and I recommend doing treatment at night and allowing the turtle to dry and remain warm over night), apply drops of the solution or shell ointment to infected areas and allow those to set in. Some recommend the drying period being of about 18 hours each day. While it may seem too extreme, it really does help in getting the job done correctly. Afterwards, return turtle to clean fresh water (can be aquarium, but water needs to be extremely clean) so that it can swim, drink, eat, etc. After about 30 minutes to an hour, soak turtle in solution of choice once more for another hour, and then allow to dry again. The cycle continues. Remember, don\'t make solutions too strong. Any antiseptic will cause minor eye irritation.
Improvements don\'t occur overnight and may take several weeks till you start to see full recoveries, however, you will notice slight improvements within a week or two after doing treatment.

C: Sulfa Bath: A turtle shell medication on the market is Tetra\'s \"Sulfa Bath\" and Tetra\'s \"Rid Rot\", both which specialize in treating fungus and shell rot on turtles. You can locate bottles of these in Pet Smart and other Pet Markets. People who have used this for medication (including me) have seen some good results. Follow directions on the bottle, and do treatment at least once or twice a day. Like all treatments mentioned above, first, rinse and clean the shell of any dirt particles. Then, soak turtle in a solution of Sulfa Bath. You can go with 1 table spoon of Sulfa Bath per 1 gallon of water. Soak the turtle from 30 minutes to an hour. Afterwards, allow the turtle to dry. While animal dries, apply shell ointment (Vita Shell) or a few drops of Sulfa Bath or \"Rid Rot\" to infected areas and allow those to set in.

snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

Funny, I think we went to the same site. I just read all of that last night. Thank you for your reply. I do have a UVB light, and a basking lamp. My turtle basks a lot for a map turt. In fact, she basks much more than my friend\'s res and painted. She loves her float, so she dries off much of the day.

As for water quality, I rotate between half water change and full change every two weeks. There is a sulfa block as well as cuttlebone in her tank. It sounds like all is well from a tech point of view, but somehow, she is still having shell problems. I recently got her new food with vit A also!

I will go to betadine treatments tomorrow, (I have it in the medicine cabinet already!)

Thank you for your help!
rustydorinirlt

Just be careful with the iodine, it can cause liver damage. :)
  • Information