New turtles

Discussions about turtles.
Babs

We have two red ear slidders, just got them for a gift, was told a male and female. They are in a 5 1/2 gal tank with gravel and a rock. One is very agressive and seems to want to keep the other one away. They both spend a lot of time digging and arranging the gravel so they have created a \"sandbar\".
Do turles fight? Is this a mating thing? Is the tank big enough for two? I want to keep them happy and healthy.
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

how big are the turtles? if they are adults they need at LEAST a 20 gallon tank, if they are babies they should still have a larger tank then about 5 gallons
Babs

the shells are 3 inches from head to tail. Do you know if this makes them adults? Any help I can get I appreciate. I want them to be as happy as they can be, will be going to the pet store and getting some supplies for them.
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

There are still young then, adult RES are about 5 to 12 inches from shell top to bottem (head to tail) but the females are usually larger then the males, for 2, 3inch turtles i think you need about a 10 or 15 gallon tank a LEAST 5 just isn\'t enough
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

Also, i have heard that turtles tend to fight and there is usually a more dominant turtle, most likely the larger one, as for the digging that normal common turtle behavior they just do it because they are bored just think of it as them decorating their rooms, i don\'t think they are old enough to be mating so thats most likely not the problem
Babs

Thanks for the help, the guys are in a larger tank, and doing great.
  • Information