he doesn\'t seem to be getting better. HELP!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
§hiznit
Level 1
Level 1

My smaller turtle has been in a tank by himself for some time now. His shell still seemd to be getting worse.
Now there are red marks on the underbelly of his shell.
What are these?
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

I heard that red marks on the undershell is a sign of advanced soft shell! you should probably get him to the vet soon soft shell an be fatal
deesygirl

Here was a post from someone with a similar problem. I would recommend getting your RES into the vet as soon as possible.

http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... picID=1689

The sale of turtles is illegal in the Atlantic provinces of Canada, the reason for this is becuase there is no vet care available for turtles.
My other turtle had a deep cut on her head once from just shimmying around the pond once and hooking in a peice of branch.
I called everywhere. Not one vet knew anything about turtles or could provide a reference.
HELP!!! Is there treatment I can administer myself?
deesygirl

Lets start with the basics. Do you have a UV bulb? How long is it on? Do you feed him a calcium enriched food? How about a cuttle bone or calcium block? Most pet stores carry a vit supplement for reptiles. It is used for turtles as well. Look for one that has vit.A. Try to get him out in the sun. I know this is tough this time of year. A plastic container works well. A few hours of sun will do him good, much better than the light, if you can. However, putting him in the sun in the house does not do much good. Alot of the benificial rays are filtered out through the windows.
When trying to find a vet, see if you can find one that works with reptiles of any kind. They can usually deal with turtles.

Thank you for that little bit of info. I will do what I can to get him out in the sun a bit. I do have a calcium block in his tank right now.
I found a few things tonight at a local fish store that may help. One is a stimualant for their food. It urges them to eat their food when they are otherwise not eating.
I have him tanken out of his tank right now.I treated the sores on the edges of his shell with hydrogen peroxide and put a little bit of polysporin on the really sore parts. He is sitting in a box with a towel lining next to the heater.
Is this good?
deesygirl

Make sure he does not get to warm. Also make sure if you dry tank him, that you soak him 30 minutes at least twice a day. Good luck.
§hiznit
Level 1
Level 1

I can I tell if he is too warm?
I heard him making a whistling sound with his breathing last night. He was sitting in some warm water in a heated room when he did it.
How can I tell?
Will it be better to have him in the tank with his calcium block all the time or sitting dry
deesygirl

Try keeping him in the water. Raise the temp to about 78-80F. Dry tank is not recommended for soft shell. I have checked a few different resources for you. I have not found anything really new. Make sure that you keep the UVB light on him for at least 5 hrs a day. You could get away with 3 hrs of natural sun. \"Reptosol\" makes a multi vitamin for herpitiles. It containes Vits A, D3, C, B1, B2, B6, and B12. To dose my RES, I need an assistant. First make sure you have a good grip on him. Cover his nose with a finger. They will usually open their mouth. Stick the dropper in, he will probably bite down, this is ok. I let him keep his mouth on the dropper while I place about 4 drops in the mouth. It is fairly simple once you do it. Also make sure he has the calcium available. The cuttle bones I hear, work very well. I think I will try it myself when my calcium powder is gone.

Keep us posted as to how he is doing. Maybe someone else will have some more ideas. By the way, did you ask around for a Herp vet? Any luck?

I have been keeping him in warm temperatures. Putting him in the sun and I have a calcium block in the water with him.
He has him eyes open more now but the bottom of his shell is still red.
He opens his mouth and pants when I turn on the light, but he won\'t eat. Any suggestions there.
I will have to order in teh Reptosol stuff you mentioned. Thanks for the help.
§hiznit
Level 1
Level 1

The red seems to be going away on his underbelly. I have just been letting him sit in water with his calcium block.
I leave him alone unless I am putting him in the sun.
He still won\'t eat though.
deesygirl

Loosing the red is a very good sign.

Let\'s see if you can get him to eat. :) Try cooking some very lean chicken. I save a little chicken breast myself. I just stick it in the microwave for a minute. After it cools I chop it into bite size pieces. It is really messy, so you might want to feed before you do a water change. Some people here have used canned tuna. I have never tried it myself, however they swear by it. Grubs are another good choice. You can get worms and grubs at any gas station that sells bait. I noticed that mine are attracted to the movement of the worms in the water. Pre-killed guppies might be another choice.

Keep us posted, as to how things are going.
§hiznit
Level 1
Level 1

I am actually feeding him Caplin. Wamred slightly in the microwave with the bones taken outo of it. He used to love it, now he pays no attention.
What his he doing when he puts him head up like that. Is he getting defensive? NE1 Know?
HIs neck blows up and he just looks at me with his head stuck up.
deesygirl

Could be a respitory infection that is causing him to loose his appetite as well as the swelling. I\'ll try finding some info.for you.
§hiznit
Level 1
Level 1

No...HIs neck isn\'t swelling as in Injured swelling. It is like he is puffing his neck out like some animals do to look more intimidating, you know, that kind of swelling.
Thanks again, I always look forward to listening to your advice.
deesygirl

I have not found anything on the puffed neck. I will keep looking. Has he been eating? Mine like fresh Halibut. They actually look like Phiranas (sp?)

quote [Thanks again, I always look forward to listening to your advice.]

Thank you. My advice is really just opinions and remembering other\'s suggestions as well as research. I just like to help if I can.
§hiznit
Level 1
Level 1

No...he still won\'t eat but is a little more active than he used to be at the beginning of this.

All in all the advice is muchly appreciated. :)
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

Feed it some Reptocal, they sell it at pet stores for about 6 bucks canadian, it is a Vitimin D3 supplement containing phosphorous to properly utilize calcium, which your turtle is probably lacking, I have a baby RES which had a soft shell, and ever since I fed him ReptoCal, and a calcium block in his tank, he is much better. Hope this helps.I heard the Red Lines are a sign of Soft Shell, and its not a good thing, so keep a close eye on it.~ Hope it gets well soon~
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

Feed it some Reptocal, they sell it at pet stores for about 6 bucks canadian, it is a Vitimin D3 supplement containing phosphorous to properly utilize calcium, which your turtle is probably lacking, I have a baby RES which had a soft shell, and ever since I fed him ReptoCal, and a calcium block in his tank, he is much better. Hope this helps.I heard the Red Lines are a sign of Soft Shell, and its not a good thing, so keep a close eye on it.~ Hope it gets well soon~
Jude
Level 2
Level 2

§hiznit
Level 1
Level 1

He\'s gone.
He died last night. I guess I just couldn;t fix him. I kept him ina warm enviornment offered him fresh caplin to eat, had a calcium block in his water and put him in the sun whenever possible.
And he is gone.
thanks for your help anyway guys.:(

im so sorry to here about your turtle passing away i to have suffered my turtles have passed away to i had 3 of them o nly one left now and he is sick too nobody knows what that swelling of the neck is i have tried everything and gone to different vets and know body knows why it does that . again sorry
  • Information