2 Year Old Turtle Questions

Discussions about turtles.
getgenie

I have been raising a RES since my son brought her home from camp 2 years ago. I have been learning as I go, and this board has been an enormous help. Right now I have a 20 gallon tank which I am replacing with a 45-60 gallon tank next week and I just bought a Eheim 2028 for it. I have not been using a filter for about a year. They never did an effective job. Rather, I use an air pump and plastic submergible filter box. It has kept the water much cleaner much longer than any filter I used to use. Due to the advice on this board, and now that the turtle and the tank are getting larger, I decided to upgrade back to a filter after being convinced that the 2028 will do the job.

My turtle makes it very clear that she wants to be out of the tank to walk around (she has her own room that I have \"turtle-proofed\"). If she sees me for even a second she swims up to the glass and stretches her neck way out, and follows me from side to side until I take her out. I\'ll take her out and let her walk around, always putting her safely back in the tank after an hour or so. Is that ok to do? Right now she is about 6\"-7\" long.

Does your turtle know who you are?
Do they like to be played with or left to themselves?
How long should a 2 year old turtle bask?
Finally, how much and how frequently would you feed her?

Thank you all in advance for any information!
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

[quote]getgenie wrote:

Does your turtle know who you are?
Do they like to be played with or left to themselves?
How long should a 2 year old turtle bask?
Finally, how much and how frequently would you feed her?
[quote]

I believe turtles can recognise their owners, or the people who feed them. My turtles always swim over to the glass and \"beg\" for food whenever I walk into the room but the don\'t do it for my mom. I don\'t think turtles can really be played with, but if you handle them a lot they can get quite tame and let you rub their head and neck. I wouldn\'t let my turtles walk around on my floor because of the risk of bacteria getting left behind. You can get her checked for salmonella, which would be a good idea because yours is a wild turtle, just to make sure you are not at risk. Still, it\'s not good to kiss your turtle, as they still have many germs and always wash your hands after handling them!
There is no specific time a turtle will bask for at a certain age, it depends a lot on the turtle themselves. I\'d say the average is probably 3-4 hours but they could stay out all day if they want to! Just make sure they arn\'t excessivly basking (i.e at night) or not basking at all, this could indicate sickness.
Baby turtles need to be fed everyday to maintain good health and grow. Adults can be fed less often every 1-2 or 2-3 days. You should make plants available at all times because this will eventually make up most of her diet if it already hasn\'t.
I hope this helps some!
getgenie

Thanks! Your answers were very helpful.

Like your turtle, mine doesn\'t recognize anyone except for me either. Very cool. You mentioned plants for her to eat. Can you be more specific? I\'d love to give her a healthy variety of foods to enjoy. BTW, I\'ve been feeding her twice a day. Is that waaay too much?

And I always wash with an antibacterial soap after handling her (I also don\'t touch anything else like a banister or door knob until then).

I also have a small dog (a male Yorkie). We had to move the turtle tank out of the living room because our dog went absolutely nuts over the turtle, barking at it all day long. He was mesmorized by her and couldn\'t get enough.

Thanks again.
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

I feed Stu twice a day, as much as she can eat in 5 mins or so. She\'s doing well w/ it :)

There\'s some good info about feeding in the care sheets section.. I know they\'ve mentioned anachris, water hyacinth, and just about everything leafy and green known to man except iceberg lettuce. Check out the water turtle care section under care sheets up there. *giggle* And someone else could probably reply w/ more info than me. I\'ve only had my turtle for about 6 months.
getgenie

Thank you. I put Herbert in his new 40 gallon tank and he loves it (the 20 seems so puny now!). I\'ll try the plants and I guess I\'m doing ok with feeding.

I just ordered the Dr. Foster basking ramp and I\'ll let everyone know if it works.
  • Information