Turtle Not Basking

Discussions about turtles.
NandT

We just got 2 turtles, Fred and Ethel, Ethel is the female and she is VERY domineering. I have a couple of questions, Fred does not bask very often, he mostly stays in the corner of their tank. Is he sick? The other thing is - they are always sticking their heads up out of the water begging for food. Should I feed them once a day. Their shells are approx. 5-6\" long (from head to tail). Ethel will follow our fingers thinking its food, because she opens her mouth like she is going to eat. We have given them so far, turtle food, lettuce, grapes, grasshoppers and crickets. They ate the crickets (one each), the grasshopper Ethel only took a couple of bites, the lettuce they take a bite or two and then are done, the grape Ethel ate it no problem, Fred would not eat it, the turtle food both eat it just fine out of our hand. Should I feed them every day or are they just begging?
Thanks for any help you can give me. The turtles came from S. Padre Island, Texas and we live in Illinois - we bought them at a store - as an FYI.
l8or g8or

First, let me welcome you to the board! I take it this is your first time with turtles? Tell us more about your setup - do you have all the necessary equipment? Lights, filter, heater?

If you just got them, he needs to get used to his new home - he will then bask, he\'s just scared. Don\'t give your turtle Iceberg lettuce, it\'s not good for them. Any other kind of lettuce is ok, but in moderation.Check the care sheets at the top of the page for more info on what to feed your little ones, don\'t overfeed!! I know it\'s tempting when you see their little faces at the glass and their little hands waving up and down. But it seriously is not good for them. Too much protein is also not a good thing. Add a cuttle bone (the kind for birds) to the water for calcium. First you have to peel the backing off with a knife - I scrape chunks off for them and they love it. I don\'t go by the \"feed what they can eat in 5 minutes\" for all my turtles. I do with Cecil because for some reason is a slow eater. Joe Mama would eat the entire can of Reptomin if I let her. Again, welcome to the board!
NandT

My setup for the turtles: We have a 20L Aquarium, we have a filter with a heater, and a basking light. Half the tank is water with rocks on the bottom, not small rocks but they are bigger than their heads which I bought at the pet store, then we built them a ramp out of rock to an area that they can bask. When looking at the aquarium, the basking area has two artificial plants that make it look a little like home - hopefully for them. I have been doing a lot of reading, I bought the turtles in the beginning of March, and my mom took care of them before she dropped them off to me, via a car. So they had a car ride basically from TX to IL. This whole time I have been reading books, internet sites, etc. on the care and how to keep them healthy for as long as they live. I was unaware of the iceberg lettuce restriction, so I will stop feeding them that, and go and get them other foods.
So how often should I feed them? I just went home to check on them, on my lunch break, and when I fed them one pellet each of turtle food, Ethel, the dominant female, started going crazy in the water, for more food. She was splashing around, following me, sticking her head up and opening/closing her mouth. Will they stop begging if that is what they are doing?
My water temp is approx. 80 degrees, and they are sitting in front of a window that does get sunlight in the afternoon. Thier basking light goes on about 7:00 AM and I turn it off around 10:00 PM.
Thanks for the help, yes I am new to the board and I look forward to being a part of it. I have found all very useful information throughout the site. Thanks in advance.
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

You should probably be feeding them twice a day, especially if they act so hungry. My RES is about 1 1/2 inches (i think it\'s a boy ) I feed him 2 pellets in the morning, (speical ones for baby aquatic turtles) and 2 or 3 tiny baby shrimp for fish that I got at a fish store for an evening or after school meal. However, since I read that baby turtles are mainly carnivorous and larger ones are more omnivors you might want to feed it somthing diffrent like Romanian Lettuce or somthing. Also, about the basking thing, My turtle didn\'t bask the first few days i got him home. I do catch him basking in the eveningsometimes now, and i also sespec he may bask some while i\'m away at school.
  • Information