BITING!!! OUCH!!!

Discussions about turtles.
bree7779

Whenever I put my hand in the tank to clean it my turtle bites me and won\'t let go. I don\'t know what to do and I start panicking so to try to get it to let go of my fingers I end up slamming it against the wall and the floor, and then it lets go. He doesn\'t seem very energetic anymore and he has a cracked shell. What should I do??
deesygirl

First of all, if you know your turtle is going to try and bite you, why don\'t you put it in a seperate container when you clean the tank. A rubbermaid container with high sides works well, or you could use the bath tub.
I have only been bit once and agree it hurts. It was my fault however and would never have slammed my turtle around. However all of us are different.
Your turtle could be suffering from a type of shock or could be injured. I think you should take him to the vet. A cracked shell could mean he is very injured. I really do not know. I have heard of people finding turtles in their yards that have been dropped by birds, however I am not really sure the extent of the injuries. Maybe someone else here has had experience with this.
  • Information