new turtle

Discussions about turtles.
neonite
Level 1
Level 1

I bought a red slider yesterday and set up everything the way I\'ve read it should be, though I need a bigger tank. My problem is this. The turtle won\'t go on the basking area to dry off, just stays in the water. Also it won\'t eat. I have the temperatures correct so I know she isn\'t cold and not too hot. Am I missing something here? I\'ve tried the pellet food and feeder fish. I\'d appreciate it if someone could help me out. I\'m not one of these people who gets the pet and doesn\'t take the time or spend the money to take care of the pet. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

John, turtles are usually like a little kid on their first day of school, just give him/her a little time to adjust. Your little frined should start eating and sun bathing within a week. Keep me/us poated on what happens.
baby_res
Level 2
Level 2

Ya I agree give the turtle some time. Mine didn\'t it when I got them either (2 months ago) and it took about a week for them to eat. Also about the basking they most likely won\'t do it when your around anyways if you just got them. I know fine bask because i see the basking area wet sometime but 2 days ago for the first time I actually saw them on there. . but when they saw me they went back into the water!! FAST!! haha hope this help and that your baby is ok!
new_res_owner
Level 1
Level 1

I got 2 baby res 3 days ago. They just started to eat yesterday. I think it is because I made the water a lot warmer. It was pretty hectic for them because I kept on changing the tank and buying new things.

I\'ve caught mine basking on the floating log. Once I go near they retreat to the water and hide underneath. I just leave them alone now.
neonite
Level 1
Level 1

ya\'ll were right. she did start to eat, but not the pellets. she won\'t touch them. she likes goldfish, and today i got her to eat a little lettuce. and she\'s started getting use to my fiance and i, so that\'s cool.
  • Information