Name sugg\'s and care sheets?

Discussions about turtles.
Dolfan0925
Level 1
Level 1

I just got a Mississippi Map about a week ago...I want a cool unique name for him but I\'m comin up short. Thought I\'d ask all you guys. And I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some good info on the differences between an res and a map. I was told they are a lil bit harder to take care of. Thanks alot:)
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I also have a Mississippi Map, and I have had her for a year. I follow all of the instructions for taking care of a res, and I have not had any problems so far. One of the main differences is that Map turts in general tend to stay in the water more than res. They are a bit shyer, and will jump in the water if sudden movements are made near the tank when they are basking. They are also less tolerant of dirty water, since they spend so much more time in it.

My advice:
1: Make sure you have you setup away from any high traffic. The less your new friend will be disturbed, the more time it will get to bask.
2: Keep the water clean, clean your water often. I usually do about a half water change every two weeks, and a full water change about every month and a half. The better your filter is, the less often you will have to change it. I also feed my turtle three days a week, and I put her in a plastic critter keeper to do so. I fill it with clean water the day before, and make sure it is warm enough. This makes it so the uneaten food does not contribute to the dirtiness of the water in the tank. I don\'t put her back in her tank until I have seen that she has defecated, (they usually do their business around the time they are fed)

Have fun with your new friend!
Sennyo
Level 2
Level 2

I believe Mizu means water in japanese :) I thought it sounded kinda cool.. especially for a female turtle if it is.
  • Information