dirty tank

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
princesem16

i have 2, 3 month old red eared sliders who are very healthy the only problem i have is that the tank get very dirty. I am going to purchase a new filter for the tank but i don\'t know if it is going to help or not. The tank is only 10 gallons the pet store told me that it was big enough but i have read that i need a bigger one i was just wondering what i could do to keep the tank cleaner so i don\'t have to scrub it twice a month. i also have an algea problem and was wondering about that. thanks
penguin_perfection
Level 3
Level 3

You will, eventually, need a larger tank and a filter. Pond snails are good for keeping algae off the glass but don\'t buy the expensive ones becauseyour turtles will probably end up eating them anyways. Good luck!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

It also helps to feed them in another tank. If you get a new bigger one, you can use the 10 gallon for feeding. Around the time that they eat, they tend to poop, so the uneaten food and the poop stay out of the tank that they live in. You can clean the feeder tank out each time they eat. I don\'t know about younger res, but older ones only need to eat 3 times a week, so you won\'t have to set up the feeder tank every day!
  • Information