help. puffy swollen turtle eyes

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
elokah06x

i recently bought my boyfriend a res from chinatown, ny (btw never ever buy from there). this is his second res. his other one died, unfortunetly. poor boy was crying. he got really attatched. but hopefully his new one will make it out fine. but theres a problem, his eyes are completly swollen to the point where it looks like a blister. i believe it was from the dirty water that all of them were living in. i didnt want to buy any of the other ones, but now that i come to think about it..i rather do that then just letting them all die. and by the way they are under 4 inches. theyre little babies. :( well anyhow i actually put an antibiotic creme on his eyes. and ironically, one of them actually opened within an hour or so. but the other one looks horrible. its actually cute though, cuz i think this is actually the first time he\'s been able to see. cuz he jumps into his shell whenever one gets close :) but hopefully he\'s getting better, i just want to know if theres anything else i can do, i should tell him to bring the res to the vet, but i dont know if the vet around here is qualified for turtles. but help :) is appriciated. thanks a bunch!
deesygirl

I have heard alot about babies purchased in China town and in NY City. I am glad I have never seen it. I always have to remind myself that I can not rescue all of them, although like you I would rather take them home than see them suffer.

Here is some information from the first aid sectoin of this site.

) Swollen eyes and Vitamin A injections:

Swollen eyes are common in turtles and usually pneumonia related. Poor nutrition and dirty water could cause this as well. If your turtle is sluggish, not eating, or shows any other symptom along with the swollen eyes, take your turtle to the vet. It sounds like your turtle may have a serious health problem and could need antibiotics.

Vitamin A deficiency could be another one of the many causes for the swollen eyes. I have read that soaking your turtle twice a day for 15 minutes in a separate container and using a saline solution or Turtle Eye Clear will make your turtle more comfortable. It will help if you start this treatment immediately upon noticing the problem. You can add a small amount of vitamins to their food every other day.

Don\'t just assume that it is vitamin A deficiency. Try and rule out other possibilities first. If the problems persist and don\'t seem to be getting better, take your turtle to the vet.

Good luck and keep us posted.
InvisableMarker
Level 2
Level 2

i resently purchasd a baby turtle from chinatown NY also, mine does not have these \"swollen eyes\" but a friend of mine also purchased a turtle and it did have this condition, lucky none of the turtle from the tank i bought from seemed to have it
  • Information