YBS Shell Pyramiding

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
Emandile57

Hello,

I have had my YBS for a few months now, I rescued her from a flea market where she was in only about an inch of water and crowded with three other turtles. She is about 2.5 inches long. When I got her, i noticed that her shell was beginning to pyramid and get kind of pointy, and it hasnt seemed to stop. I know pyramiding is permanent but it seems to be getting more prominent. I am feeding her small pellets with calcium and vitamins that are high protein, and also feeding her lettuce as well. But since doing more research i found mixed thoughts about diet and i started feeding her more lettuce and less pellets. What should i do to help stop this problem? She seems perfectly healthy; basks often, swims fluidly and often, no signs of stress or fatigue. A lot of the diet info i read online was a bit confusing and inconclusive.

Ive added a pic of her so you can better see the shell.

Thanks.
Attachments
BA8EDBA9-2423-401C-B586-9F89EE1F9054.jpeg
BA8EDBA9-2423-401C-B586-9F89EE1F9054.jpeg (157.23 KiB) Viewed 144 times
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I didn’t see any immediate concern in the picture.
It is too young to say if your turtle has pyramiding issue.
Your turtle is this years hatchling so it is only a few month old. What you see in the middle of each scute is something called natal scutes, the scutes that baby was born with. As baby grows, new growth appears around the natal scutes. This new growth is usually not completely flush with natal scutes.
So if you are worried about slight differences you see between natal scutes and new growth, it is normal.
It will become more flush as it grows and sheds scutes.

I think you are doing well for feeding.
In order for a baby turtle to grow, it needs protein rich food as well as minerals and vitamins. Usually those hatchling turtle pellets do very good job by itself. Many people feed small amount of those pellets daily.
Having said that, trying variety of food is a good idea too. Aside from pellets, “Whole Foods” like dried small shrimp, meal worms, small crickets are good way to add stimulation and provide micro nutrients on top of protein although you cannot use those things as main diet.
Like you mentioned, green parts of romaine lettuce is usually easy choice for plant material. From turnip or mustard greens, fresh basil leaves to chopped up tomato flesh, you can try many different plant material.
  • Information