Eggs hatching?

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

So I've had 3 red eared slider eggs incubating under a heating lamp for 46 days non-stop in a container with all that is required for hatching. I check the eggs recently & their is movement inside the egg shells. I was wondering if they need to be in darkness in order to hatch since I read online that they only hatch at night, but the heating lamp on them is a bright light so I need to know how to get them to hatch or is it too soon for them to hatch just yet. The temperature they are at is 80° F.
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I’m grad to hear your eggs are doing great!

Maybe instead of regular light emitting bulb, heat emitting bulb might work? Those are readily available at pet stores.
You might have to adjust height of light fixture to keep the temperature the same.
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

It's the same light we used for baby chicks
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Hi ow long does it take for RES eggs to hatch since I've been ready online it takes 45 days but it's been longer then that but the eggs are still alive
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

It might take longer depending on condition such as temperature etc.
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

So based on this candled turtle egg for reference how long til the eggs hatch?
Attachments
IMG_20200616_204243550.jpg
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

I can’t tell for sure but it doesn’t look like it is ready to hatch.
Obviously when eggs are almost hatching, you should see shadow of embryo/baby turtle almost fully filling out the egg when candled from the other side.
Like this:
https://dirtnkids.wordpress.com/2016/06 ... -hatching/
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Either I'm imagining it or my turtle eggs are shaking. Is this normal? A sign of hatching or do I need to be checked into a hospital?
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Baby turtle can move slightly inside the egg but not to the extent that it shakes entire egg.
If it is actually shaking, it is from something else.
Maybe something like earthworms or pull bugs got inside of the incubation media? Or fly larvae? Either way you should make sure nothing is living inside the incubator.
I don’t think vet can do anything other than give you some tips of incubation such as proper temperature how to set up incubator etc.
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

I meant me in the hospital for going crazy. Which according to your response I need to check myself into.
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Haha, sorry I didn’t get your joke but now I do :lol:
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

I've notice in indentations on my turtle eggs just appeared when checking on them. Are they still ok or did they go bad?
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

Maybe moisture is low? Eggs can get dehydrated if substrate is dry and ambient humidity is too low.
Unlike bird eggs, humidity should be kept as high as 90%
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

So what stage in egg development is it when you can see the silhouette of the body identify the head & all 4 legs inside of it's egg shell? I want to know how much longer it's going to take for these eggs to hatch since it's been 67 days for the RES eggs I have
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 3
Level 3

I think it is about time to hatch if you can see silhouette is covering whole egg.
I found a YouTube video showing all stages of turtle egg development. Although this particular egg was of Reeves Turtle, but basically it is the same thing.
Hopefully you can get some idea where you stand with your eggs. 60+ days doesn’t sound awfully too long but it should be about time.
https://youtu.be/creN1Y8I1vE
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

Just for reference here are some pictures of my turtles egg's when I candled it I believe this is the turtle embreo? Day 18 and 28.... the soil around your egg looked very damp the eggs don't need alot of water, it's my first time with a hutch so I'm still learning aswell (same egg) Red eared sliders
Attachments
Screenshot_20200702-214133.png
Screenshot_20200702-214133.png (360.69 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Screenshot_20200702-214118.png
Screenshot_20200702-214118.png (171.78 KiB) Viewed 343 times
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

67 days of incubation not including how many mystery days from the person we received the eggs from & here is where they are candled at. Are they still alive or should I been concerned?
Attachments
IMG_20200702_210753643.jpg
IMG_20200702_210735353.jpg
IMG_20200702_210627216.jpg
IMG_20200702_210735353.jpg
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

Blkcheetah honestly your eggs look good to me the veins and dark spot are a good sign and I definitely seen a turtle embreo! Circled below are where I believe the head and arm is! Sometimes they take longer to incubate depending on temp and humidity also make sure your gassing the eggs out if there in containers, typically red eared slider eggs hatch from 45-60+ days
I keep my eggs around 84.0 and humidity around the 90s and I found this developed mine fast

The only time to be worried is if it's a bad egg (which it doesn't look like) they usually turn greenish or brown and have a foul smell and the yolk leaks out sometimes underneath it; OR if the baby can not break out because there having trouble with their egg beak; from looking at it your eggs are not FULLY developed yet but very close!! I wouldn't give up on them just yet,

Hope this helps and I want to see those babes when there hatched! Also looks like they just need longer until you can't candle it or see an embreo the egg appears shadsowed as I call it :)
Attachments
Snapchat-589810801.jpg
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

What do you mean by gassing the eggs out, do you mean airing them out or what? They are in a container, elevated over a heating pad with air holes in the container. I unfortunately can't seem to get the humidity right
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

Humidity comes from hot air rising, along with the egg breathing so your correct I meant airing them out because they breath just like we do (weird enough) and can be trapped by CO2 especially in a small container, I (gas) or air my eggs out twice a day I just wipe the condensation off the top of the lid candle them and let them breath for a couple minutes before putting the lid on,

If there's not condensation on the lid it could indicate a humidity problem if you don't have a digital thermometer, I would suggest having one on hand

I have air holes in my container but I still air them out every day,

I'll post an attachment of my set up very DIY ghetto but it helps keep the humidity in :)

Especially since my eggs are inside all day and we have the A/C pumped the extra container helps.
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

Setup
Attachments
Snapchat-1605037877.jpg
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Why are your eggs in individual container like that, they need to be able to sense each other to tell themselves when to hatch from what I understand from the YouTube series snake discovery. They did have turtles too
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

I have them in individual containers because of Gas exchange, they shouldn't breath around the other eggs from what I've read; it is true they communicate to eachother but it's more important for sea turtles to than these eggs as they all hatch at once for a better survival to the ocean, red eared slider eggs can hatch at different times even if placed together usually it is within a few days of eachother, I can put them together when the time gets closer to hatching but there developing just fine so I'm leaving them,

Honestly I believe they could still communicate from inside if they wanted
I can hear my turtle from a few rooms away and there's videos of them 'yelling' even 😂 so they can be loud if they want I haven't done research just my own opinion on that,
I watch camp Kenan on YouTube he has some good incubation techniques and what you should use such as vermiculite, or even his incubation chamber is cool to check out you can ask him questions and he makes videos responding, I believe he made a video with turtle eggs incubated similar but I could be thinking of another YouTuber
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

What does it mean when the baby turtles stop moving inside of their eggs after they were moving alittle bit before?
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if this info will help,
Have your eggs shadowed over completely? When it has then the baby's get ready to start emerging; Eggs won't move all the time think of it as when a baby kicks as long as you haven't turned the eggs or there not going bad as long as they still have veins, and a good color too them the pink tones are a good sign,

When the baby's ready to emerge they will communicate and then use there egg beak to break out, they typically don't move frequently so if they have been I would put a time lapse on it just to study the movements weather he's just moving or getting ready to hatch!
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

Only one of the eggs look like it's shadowned completely at least based on my candling. I don't see the veins anymore,but they still give off a red color so I thought they might be covering the veins at the moment.
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

There's a good chance that egg will start hatching before the others and the rest should follow after; one of my eggs is developing faster then the others even though there all incubated the same. I think from what you've said they should be hatching soon, were you able to get the humidity up at all? It can help them hatch faster especially if it's warmer they'll want to start coming out; mind you eggs spoil around 95 degrees from what I'm told so don't let it get too hot :)
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

It never gotten hotter then 92 F° but I still can control the humanity just due to what resources I have on hand
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a lid over them of some sort? Also vermiculite can help especially with turtle eggs just a good idea for the next clutch! You can try putting small peices of sponge in the sand to absorb the excess water and this may help increase humidity and condensation, I've also read certain mosses have the same effect but I would do reasarch into that or ask your local pet store of they have anything that helps with increasing humidity or if they recommend any live plants or moss; I believe even pet smart has live plants
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

They do have lid on the container, by it I'm not planning on anymore turtle eggs. The thing is that my house mate brought the eggs along with the turtles into the house, but ditched the responsibility onto me instead because she was too lazy to do proper research on them or even got angry that the racoons destroyed her aquatic plants to get to the adult turtles, but wasn't as upset about the 2 females dying. So I just plan on hatching the eggs we have & raising them to the 4 inches required by state that they need to be before rehoming them.
Leobabe
Level 1
Level 1

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry she left you in that position! If people take on turtles especially more than one they should know what they need or do the research thats what makes me so upset! Alot of people give them up once they turn into juveniles with no concern for if they survive...
Raccoons can be bad especially if a female had layed more eggs around the pond and they can smell it, that could've been what lead him there you can get a pen thing to put over the pond but I understand you took on the responsibility and are dealing with what you have,

Good for you though I'm glad your atleast concerned about the turtles and babies, that's a big step to take especially if there not yours, just be happy even though the others have passed that you still have a turtle and eggs in your care and your doing the best for them

For the hotter months you can put a bit of cayenne pepper mixed with water and lace it around the pond raccoons have a very good sense of smell and don't tend to like peppers or anything hot it will throw off the egg smell if that's what they were looking for

I would check around just incase one of the females buryed some in the yard it can happen sometimes, turtles are great diggers my male hides underground all the time and I can only find him because of his dirt patches 😂😂
blkcheetah
Level 2
Level 2

I'm concerned for the eggs I have, they seem to be losing more water in them even though the soil is moist & the humidity is there. Is it possible for Laing water is a sign that the eggs are getting close to hatching or is it another problem? The eggs are 75 days along
Attachments
Screenshot_20200708-214517.png
Screenshot_20200708-214517.png (303.92 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Screenshot_20200708-214512.png
Screenshot_20200708-214512.png (333.81 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Screenshot_20200708-214505.png
Screenshot_20200708-214505.png (388.63 KiB) Viewed 68 times
  • Information