White spot on head - help please

Discussions about aquatic turtles. (Red Ear Sliders, River Cooters, etc.)
Pauly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - My RES developed this white spot on her head this week. It looks awful. I don't know what it is or what to do about it.
Attachments
IMG_2830.jpeg
IMG_2830.jpeg (30.34 KiB) Viewed 83 times
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

To me, that spot in the picture looks like injury caused by hitting back shell.
Did your turtle recently fell or maybe water is not deep enough where he/she jumps in?
Or if you have other turtle in the same tank, it could have caused by biting.

If the wound is not too deep, it should heal up slowly as long as it doesn’t get infection.
Many people use betadine solution to disinfect wounds and help heal faster.
Cleanliness of water is important too.
Betadine solution, dry docking until solution dries completely, full water change every time.
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 2
Level 2

I forgot to add that if the spot doesn’t show any improvement, you must seek medical intervention.

Good luck and get well soon!
Pauly
Level 1
Level 1

I know this sounds crazy, but that actually makes me feel a lot better. She has been crawling out of her tank and/or trying to crawl out of her tank on her own. A couple times she got out on her own in the middle of the night and I found her on the floor. She has a 100 gallon tank and it's at least 5 feet to the floor so she has fallen. We re-did her basking area so she can't climb out anymore. The first time she did it, it woke me up in the middle of the night and I didn't see her on the floor right away. Now I've learned her behaviors and when she wants to get out. The mark did grow a little, but it's back to skin color again. She is almost 5 yo and this is the first time she's ever tried to escape (this is also her first season of laying eggs). Now that she's done laying eggs she seems content to stay in the water. I appreciate the response very much.
  • Information