my baby in trouble

Discussions about turtles.
POSAU40

my baby turtle needs help. I am pretty sure he has a respitory infection or something from the previous posts I have read. He swims sideways and makes weird noises, etc. What can I do to help besides take him to a vet bacause I don\'t have the money. Please help me out if you can. THanks
sarky
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m afraid what you really need to do is take him to the vet. It sounds serious. I hate to say this but when you get a pet you assume responsibility for its health and happiness. What about if you called the vet first and asked how much it would be to take him in? It might be less expensive than you think.
deesygirl

I agree, You really should take him to the vet. Although I understand some times it can be a streach to the budget.

If you absolutly can not afford to take him in right now, you might be able to help him survive. The first is very easy, call the vet and ask if you actually need to take him in. Some vets will diagnose and give you meds for an animal of this nature right over the phone. Call a few if you have to. The second is called heat treatment. It might buy you a few days, until you can afford to get in to the vet.

Raise the water in his tank to 88 or89 degrees. Raise the basking temp as well. I do have to tell you though. Heat treatment is usually only effective in the early stages. You really need the vet.
l8or g8or

Yup... you need a vet.
deesygirl

How is your baby doing?
  • Information