RES turtle twitching head, arms and legs while basking

Discussions about turtles.
greenqueen

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:03 am

I have an almost 2 year old RES turtle. I’ve been noticing that when it basks, after being under the light for a while, he starts twitching. It usually lasts a few minutes and then starts again. Does anyone know what this could be?

I have attached a link to a video:
https://youtu.be/q0LBcmrInxI
Chopsley
Level 2
Level 2

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Nothing you can't fix. Those closed type basking areas with the environment turtles needs makes a nice home for all kind of things. Some don't clean it when cleaning there filters. Add it to your maintenance. Just some kind of small flying bug and just like us he don't like something flying around his face/body. May be a very small gnat or even a baby fruit fly. Could be something came in with some fresh fruit or just with the seasons changing got into your home. It's a turtles flyswatter using legs head what ever it takes to get it away. You know how us human's get when a fly is in the house. Break basking dock down and clean very well. Place a sticky fly paper "behind" tank for a little while and you will see tiny things stuck on it. Gnats are almost impossible to see but the turtles knows it's there. Clean and that fly type paper to catch it/them and break the cycle so your don't end up with a family of gnats... Good observing your young man , it happens to some of us once in a while too.
A very old time remedy is to place a cotton ball on a small dish and add to cotton a few drops of oil of wintergreen, the fruit fly's and gnats love it and get stuck in the cotton and die. Place it behind the tank or out of site "not" in basking area ! You then would see tiny black dots on the cotton , that's how small they are.
TurtlesBunniesPlants
Level 1
Level 1

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:17 pm

I agree, it looks like some gnats or flies bothering him but I could not see anything flying in the video.
Or possibly wattage of your basking lamp is too high and emitting too much heat?
  • Information