Cleaning the tank and etc

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
lilvol
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all. I recently received a baby red ear slider as a gift. Her name is Idgy. She is growing like crazy so I\'m thinking of getting a 29 gallon tank. I just have a 10 gallon tank now. The question I have is how in the world do you clean a tank that size? LOL I have a hard enough time trying to clean the one I have now. I always take everything out of it and wash everything off (which requires carrying it outside). I know it would be much harder to carry a 29 gallon tank. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I am going to be changing the rock, I didn\'t realize the turtles sometimes eat gravel. The floating sticks I feed her do make a mess in the bottom of the tank. When she eats bits of the sticks always go to the bottom.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA - thanks in advance
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 29gal and I have it near a sink. I siphon the water out until there is almost none left, then I pick it up. It is in a classroom, so I don\'t mind that the water goes down the drain. When it was at home, I would siphon the water into a large bucket, like the kind you buy joint compound in, and dump it down the toilet. If you pour slowly enough, the water will stay at the same level. Then once it was almost empty, I would take it outside and hit it with the hose.
lilvol
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! That\'s actually what I\'ve been doing. I just wondered if there was an easier way!
I actually took Idgy to my class one day. She\'s so skittish though my kids scared her half to death. LOL I teach second and third grade. I figure she\'s better off at home. Now I have two betta fish that are the class pets. They named the blue one America and the red one Sebastian.
l8or g8or

If you are \"thinking\" about getting a 29 gallon, why don\'t you just go for a bigger tank, you are going to need it eventually anyway. This is how I clean my tanks. I have a regular hose with the one end cut off. I hook it up to the washtub faucet to fill it with water. After its full, I stick the one end out the door, and use the cut off end to drain the tank. When I am done, I hook it back up and re-fill the tank. I personally don\'t like the Python type cleaners, as they waste to much water while draining the tank.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

My siphon is just a regular siphon. It does not require the water to be on to pump it. I have a really deep sink, since I am a science teacher, so the gravity is enough to suck the water out the tank. No wasted water here! It works really well once it is started. I can just leave it there until it is empty. I don\'t even pick up the tank until there is o water in it!
human177
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 60G and I use a pump to get 1/5th out, next I tumble the aquarium a little and use a small cup to take out the large dirt.
Next I use a sponge for the last bits and refill with a hose.
Takes me about 20 minutes, and I clean all the devices in between.
  • Information